Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I couldn't ask for more

I'm never quite sure what I'm going to write about. I used to write a lot about my girls, but as they've gotten a bit older, I try to respect their growing need for privacy. Let me tell you, I have some doozies I wish I could share! Not just for the humor, but for all the lessons too. Mine and theirs. Serena is 12, yet I find myself telling her what she considers to be my most annoying phrase, "you're 12. Not 21." That usually gets me an "ugh" or two. She's testing the waters a bit, clearly wanting to grow up too fast. She was a bit sarcastic with me today, and it got nipped in the bud instantly. I know it's just her testing her new independence. Kids always use it on the 'rents first. I just don't happen to think it's cool at all! Natalie seems to be right on track with where she should be. She's never been one to want to be older. In fact, she always said she wished she could stay little forever. She claims she's never leaving home. Serena would like to leave at 18. I just find their opposing personalities so strange! Nat is straightforward, Serena is a bit sneaky! We definitely have to parent them differently, which usually causes friction between the two of them. I'm sure the fun is just beginning! They still get along pretty well. Natalie has really taken to the big sister role. I listened in as she was teaching Serena some new volleyball techniques. She was so calm and patient with her, encouraging her along the way, giving lots of praise. I was so impressed! Not only with Nat, but with Serena's willingness to try. She hasn't always been easy to teach new things, letting her frustration get the best of her. It was so nice to see her not giving up and allowing Nat to teach her something without feeling intimidated. I've also seen Serena's faith growing, as she is now in the church youth group for the first time. She came home bubbling over with excitement, telling us she "felt God" there and how wonderful it was to be in the presence of young people of faith. Natalie leaned in and said to her, "I told you it would be that way, didn't I?" I smiled, knowing that my girls are growing up and growing together. That one day they will be women, pouring into each others lives much the same way. I couldn't ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...