Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chasing Tomatoes and other Updates

I've been pretty busy these past few days with appointments, never-ending chores, and doing my fall canning/freezing. Blight seems to have claimed many of the tomatoes around here, so finding any tomatoes has been a challenge. Finding good tomatoes has been impossible. My parents and I found some today, which will be ready for canning in a few days. I found some good corn, so I bought more of that to freeze as well. The freezer is already pretty full and I haven't done applesauce yet. I will be busy with that next week.

Sophie is finally getting over her ear infection, which I didn't even mention last week. She was a pretty miserable pup, and we quickly became miserable along with her. Each night she would wake us to go out about every hour or two. She did something pretty similar at this same time last year, so we took her to the vet right away. $291.35 later, we had our diagnosis. Allergies. She received a cortisone shot, a vigorous ear cleaning, blood work, and more tests. They prescribed anti anxiety medication for her, although I have been taking it. Tastes like liver, but who cares. Anyway, several nights in a row I slept very little, and stepped in dog pee at least 4 times. Apparently a side effect to a cortisone shot is excessive thirst and excessive urination. Seems the vet could have warned us. She'll get my bill later. I now wear waders when I walk into the kitchen at 3 in the morning, just in case.

So, a little tired, somewhat irritable, this past week or so has been a bit challenging to say the least. She has slept through the night two nights in a row now, and I am so grateful. I felt so sorry for her, and it is a great relief to know she's feeling better. I just love that mischievous little stinker of a lovey dog.

The girls have settled into school very well, and seem excited about their new teachers and subjects. Serena is in choir this year, and she just thinks Mrs. Mikulin hung the moon. Of course, she thinks her art teacher did that too! She just really connects with people. I like that she does that. It makes my job easier.

Natalie is doing really well with her saxophone. She seems to have gotten our music gene, at least on my side of the family. I can tell you where she gets her pokey gene, but I will get in trouble.

Our week will end with the Homecoming parade and game on Friday night. On Sunday, the girls will finally be baptized, having been forced to cancel the original August date. I will be sure to post pictures.

I'm out for the week, though, having many things I need to do in the next couple of days. I also spend a fair amount of time doing actual writing on my new laptop. My writing needs to be more of a priority than my blog, but I will try to combine both, as I have so far anyway.

Have a great week! I'll be praying for rain, but not for Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...