Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of School Support Group

Hi. My name is Jami. I am almost 40, and my "baby" just started 4th grade. Funny, I thought she'd be in her Carter's pjs until they actually wore out. Nope. No luck there. I should be in a support group since each year putting my kids back to school is like gut wrenching torture, admitting again they won't be little forever. Natalie started sixth grade today. This will be her final year at CES. (horrified gasp) Each year the kids get older. I'm getting older too. This Landslide's got me down. Oh, that's a song, isn't it?

The girls had a really good first day. A new art teacher is on staff, and he impressed Serena beyond belief. She cannot wait for art class. You don't know how that differs from last year! They are both looking forward to gym. Yes, gym!! Why? New gym teacher....football coach! Hey, he probably knows how to do a push up or two the right way! That's cool in their eyes. Mine too.

Nothing pleases me more than adults and mentors in their lives who leave a positive mark. I can't be all and do all for them. I just can't! There are people in this world I want them to know and admire. People who know more than me, as hard as that is to believe! People who think differently than I do, and can show them new sides to things. People who will challenge them in ways I haven't thought of myself. Something about being away from me makes my kids stronger and more capable. This my friends, is the torture part of letting go. This is the part they need most, and not ironic, the hardest for me.

So, as hard as it is to let go and let them explore the world, it is the way it has to be. I have to let them fly. Soar even. Most of us can name at least one teacher or coach who changed our lives. I certainly can. Our kids are exposed to all kinds of people who touch their lives, whether it's the lunch lady (who my dad loved), the bus driver (yes, there are kind ones), or that English teacher that told me I was hiding my light under a bushel basket (RIP). There will be Sunday school teachers, youth leaders, parapros, band directors, music teachers, etc.... and all of them will leave some kind of impression. My job is to LET them and stay out of the way.

So, on this first day of school, it will also be a first day for me. I'm almost 40 and my life for the last 11 years has been all about being a mom. It is time for this mom to soar too! It is time to get my pot bubbling and teach these girls a lesson about perseverance. It is time for me to find what makes me fly. After all, the mama bird has to fly so the baby birds can see how it's done. I will always be mom, of course, but I am Jami too. And at almost 40, I need to spread my wings....and jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...