Monday, September 28, 2009

Shh....

Have you ever responded to a yelling child with more yelling? Where did (or does) it get you? A pretty big headache- that's about it. Oh, and a child who still won't listen in some cases.

Has someone ever yelled their beliefs at you a bit too strongly and you felt the urge to pull back? That's what happens to me when I feel someone is forcing their beliefs on me, whether it is a political stance, a religious one, or just a really strong opinion. To me it doesn't matter if I think you're wrong or right, I just don't care to have them thrown at me with no regard to my thoughts at all.

Like the child, I clamp my hands over my ears and you get a headache.

Yes, you will get more flies with honey. I will listen to you if you speak to me quietly and respectfully. If you raise your voice, become shrilly, or over-emotional, you have lost my attention. If your statement is drastic, irrational, or not backed up by actual unbiased facts (big mouthful), I will not hear you at all, like the child screaming while you scream.

Perhaps this is why the following was said....

"To aspire to be quiet or calm is the responsibility of every believer...it is the responsibility of every believer to desire with all their heart to be quiet and calm." Watchman Nee- The Spiritual Man (from a Joyce Meyer program)

Who do you know that is an example of quiet and calm but gets your attention? This is what we should aspire to be. In this time where beliefs threaten to divide us more than ever, we have to remain at peace inside when the storm is brewing everywhere else.

Do you want to be right? It's a lonely place. Strive to be at peace and joy will be your company!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...