Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Busy as a Bee, but lovin' the honey...

It's been a productive week so far. Last weekend started on Thursday afternoon when Steve took some time off. We didn't plan anything special, but we enjoyed having Daddy all to ourselves for a few days. We did the expected and threw in a few "unexpecteds", which we always do.

We picked blueberries on Friday, came home and made homemade pizza on the grill...it was fabulous, and I'm not sure I want pizza any other way now! We've been grilling veggies, kabobs... you name it, we're grillin' it these days. I've also been picking the blackberries on our property, and made a delicious blackberry dessert with them. I've also been trying to use up the cucumbers, zucchini and summer squash my mom has given us. I finally have a few ripe yellow peppers and a couple tomatoes. It will be nice when we can have a garden again. We knew we were going to be gone a bit more this summer, so we gave it up for a year. It's nice to have a break from all the work too. Nothing a good farmer's stand can't fix, is what I say!

Speaking of farmer's...we went to the farmer's market on Saturday and got some corn for me to freeze. Took me about 4 hours and 1 backache to complete but now the freezer is full of corn and blueberries! After the farmer's market, we took a walk in downtown Midland to check out the turtle sculptures on each corner. Of course, we stopped by the chocolate shop for a treat,and Nattie wanted to stop at the music store. We went in, and the guys were friendly to us as usual. In no time at all, they had Nat hooked up with an electric guitar, encouraging her to "jam". She was a bit shy and just played a few quiet tunes. She's self-taught, as she can't decide which instrument she really wants to commit to...the guitar, sax, or piano. What a problem, eh?? She's a natural at all three. Why pick just one, is what I say, but lessons are expensive and quite a time commitment.

We then got the music bug, I guess, and decided to go to Herter's in Saginaw as well. Because of the way we were telling the girls not to touch anything, the store manager walked over to us and gave the girls permission to play the grand piano on their stage. He told us that most parents just let their kids bang on the $66,000 piano without a thought. Are you surprised? Me either. This piano is the one they use at the Dow event center or other venues for artists such as Alicia Keyes, Elton John, Jim Brickman, and Josh Groban to use! Wow, right?? Natalie was a bit shy again, but finally sat and played "Greensleeves". Beautiful.

On Sunday after church, we went over to Coldwater Lake for a picnic and swim, just us four. This was the campground I spent many childhood summers having a blast! It was still as I remembered it, only vastly improved. We had a beautiful time, just grilling out, playing frisbee, and watching the boats play. Is there anything better than that on a nice summer day? I think not.

Summer is going fast, with sleepovers, PT, day trips, chores, of course, and just daily life. I'm busily plannning a garage sale and a couple more trips, then I hope for a couple weeks before school that we can just be still awhile and rest.

Hope you're enjoying the last bits of summer before it's time to break out those rakes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...