Thursday, May 19, 2011

Out of the Mouths of All

"Wow, you have small feet for such a tall person...", "You're my last call..do you want to go to a movie tonight?", "Oh, hi! I forgot you were coming!, "well, yeah, but you don't work","what did you do to your hair?"

Those are just a few strange things people have said to me in the past and even recently! You are usually so dumbfounded that you can't be offended, or so embarrassed for them that you don't say a word!

Don't even think I've taken myself out of this foot-in-mouth situation. I am guilty of plenty of tongue slips! I was about 16, and a girl in our school was pregnant. She had left the school,and I happened to run into her at a football game. I stupidly asked her when the baby was due. Then she pulled out pictures of the baby! I am glad I got that one over with while I was too young to know better!

A friend of mine had recently colored her hair a flaming shade of red at the same time she got a sunburn in a tanning bed. It was such a shocking change that when I saw her, I blurted out, "What happened to you??" She didn't let it go, either. She was the one who later asked me, "What did you do to your hair?" Touche`partner!

I've also been famous for the "mistaken identity" problem. I have walked up to a woman and said, "Hi Beth!" and it wasn't Beth! I also offended a woman who came to my garage sale when I asked her if she knew my older brothers and sister. Of course she didn't, she was a few years younger than ME!! That was clearly based on my poor ability to identify people. I thought she was someone else! Oops again.

I've learned plenty from those episodes. In fact,just today a woman smiled and said hello to me at the eye doctor's office. She looked a little familiar, but no way was I going to step in it again! I simply gave her a warm smile and hello and went on my way, all the while thinking, "do I know her??" I got a few miles down the road and said, "Hey, I think I knew her from school!" Oh, there I go again....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...