Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Spiritual Health

I've spent the last couple of days researching different exercises and ideas for relieving the many obstacles to chronic illness or conditions. As I've "blazed my trail", it's no wonder that I've begun to encounter more bumps in the trail! The more I try to do good, the worse I tend to feel. The past few days my fatigue has been unbearable, and I've been trying to push through it. I've started having the weird palpitations again (PVCs) and the tension headaches. All symptoms of sneaky anxiety. Ironically, I hadn't been feeling as anxious lately. In fact I had a pretty good day Sunday, being able to help take Serena to music camp and be a part of her day, encouraging her through a difficult audition, and I felt purposeful. Last night before I went to sleep I told Steve I don't think about or even say the "S" word anymore (seizures), as I didn't want to claim it. In fact, I was hoping that the EEG from the U of M would show nothing! I was believing in a miracle. This morning when I checked my email, I found my test results.

I was not happy to find that the result is still abnormal. It still shows seizure activity and I have to stay on this awful medication. So, today, I felt the physical results of my emotional reaction. I waited for my daughter to be picked up by her friend for lunch and I put myself back under the covers. I didn't care how long I stayed there. I got up 2 hours later and I still felt as awful. In fact, I didn't feel better until my daughter walked back through the door. I felt even better when husband and daughter number 2 walked through the door. It is so hard to be sick and alone. The mind is powerful. It should not be alone when the body is sick.

I picked up my Bible today in the midst of my gloom, and I read the 4 verses suggested by Joyce Meyer. The ones that make the devil flee. I read them and spoke them aloud. She reminded me that I don't need victory. I already have it. The enemy is only able to get at us when we are vulnerable. Alone. Sick. Weak. Not in our bodies, but in spirit. So while my body may be betraying me, my spirit continues to fight for me. There is no such thing as giving up when Christ abides in you and me. I must remember this or the anxiety, the worry, and the fear leaves the door of evil wide open for attack. This can't happen. I have already been purchased! I am not for sale.

So while I look for ways to be worldly ways to be healthy (food, exercise, hydration), I can't overlook the most important to me, and that is being in God's Word each day. Illness isn't easy on any level, and reading the Bible isn't going to make it any easier than a healthy diet, but knowing you are putting good in your body and mind brings health to your spirit and that is where all things begin.

John 4:4  You, dear children, are from God, and have overcome them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

Romans 8:37 In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

Colossians 1:13-14 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the Kingdom of the Son he loves in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 10:19 I have given you the authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.

2 comments:

sirnorm1 said...

I have already been purchased! I am not for sale.

What a good word!

Blessings.

Angela said...

So sorry Jami that the test results are still abnormal. That is so difficult. I too do not well when I'm alone and feeling ill. I'm going to have to write down those verses for when anxiety and depression threaten to overwhelm. I admire your determination and your faith. You are an inspiration to me Jami.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...