Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Nest

It's a glorious morning here in Michigan. The air is cool, the crickets are still chirping a bit, the sun is just starting to peek a bit at the tops of the trees,and the birds are fighting for space in the nest on the front porch...what?

I've been watching these birds build a nest very close to the front door for the past few months. In the past I've discouraged them by repeatedly opening the door or sitting outside, but this year, being ill for so long, they snuck past me and built a mansion just inches from the door. Stinkers. So not only have we not been using our front door, but I can't even take pictures of it because it's too close to the only window that it faces. I've been sneaking peeks out of the top of the front door glass, however, and though it seems like it took forever, there are finally young ones popping their fuzzy bodies out of the nest!

This morning I peeked out there and laughed as I saw them seemingly fighting for space, just like teenagers would on a sofa! I said aloud as I watched mama and papa bird exhausting themselves flying back and forth with food, "when are you going to give them the boot?" As if it's that easy!

Found these little guys wandering around the yard one day. They peeped their little hearts out until mama and papa rescued them. Guess they weren't as independent as they thought...

Natalie recently started dating. She's a pretty trustworthy kid with a good head on her shoulders. As her dating days approached, she started to talk up her game a bit. We had been talking a lot about maturity and responsibility, expectations, respect, etc...She found out we weren't messing around when we said if you come in the door late you'll be grounded. Yes, even if you're in the driveway. You must be in the house. It's hard to let them fly until you can trust their wings to do what you've taught them to do. The only way to really build trust with wings is to continue to use them properly and with respect. Otherwise, you tend to get hurt.

Recently she had an opportunity to go on another date. She was hedging just a bit. I wasn't sure why. Without infringing on her fragile privacy, I will just say that all of the sudden I saw myself at 16. One foot in the door and one foot out. Wanting so much to be free to explore what's out there on my own, and wanting the freedom and safety of what's at home too. She ended up staying home and inviting her boyfriend to stay here for a cookout. Good compromise. She's taking her time jumping out of that nest.

That nest was bulging with birds this morning, and I'm not quite sure how they all fit in there. In fact, I keep checking to make sure none of them fell out. I suppose mama bird can mother her birds better than any human and so I don't put a pillow under there. If birds could scoff....but I do wonder when they'll leave so I can finally sit on my peaceful front porch again and invite our guests to use the front door again.

Natalie went out on a date Friday night. Dinner and a movie. No hedging this time. I wouldn't say she jumped. She simply took a step. She had a really nice time, and came home on time. We may just be able to handle this parenting thing after all. Time will tell. It is awfully hard for this mama bird to stay up while waiting for her to fly home.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...