Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Friends in All Places

"There is a definite process by which one makes people into friends, and it involves talking to them and listening to them for hours at a time". - Rebecca West, Writer

"People should have more than one best friend."- Jami Rogers, aspiring writer

I have more than one best friend. I know, that kind of kills the meaning of the word "best", but that would mean I am elevating someone above another. The truth is, no two of my friends are alike! I have one who is extremely caring and thoughtful, one who makes me laugh uncontrollably every time we talk, one I've had since grade school who totally knows me, and one I've known a short time and it feels like we've known each other forever. I have more, but you get the idea. I get something different but just as valuable from each one.
For me to say to you, "hey, friend, meet my best friend so and so", what does that tell you? Well, if you're someone trying to make a close connection with me, it could put you off a little. Maybe make you feel like you can't get your foot in the door at all. Maybe you're looking for a best friend and I just scared you off. I don't know. I just don't want someone to think they are second best, so I will not use that term anymore. To be honest, it is a high schoolish term in a way and I feel silly saying it, even about my oldest friend, Patty.

Maybe a better term is "close friend", and perhaps you feel you'd have a chance at being that-no competition at all! It's okay to have a "Patty". Someone you've been friends with since childhood and will grow into old ladies together, but I realize Patty has other best friends too and that's cool with me. In fact, I don't think she even refers to me or anyone else as her "best" friend. We have that in common too, I guess. I want to be open to new friendships, but they have to be real. To be real, it takes time talking and listening, and frankly, there isn't a lot of time for that sometimes.

I don't collect friends like bottle caps. I may like a person and share with them, but maybe being true friends just isn't going to happen for one reason or another. Maybe we will be acquaintances instead. That's okay. I believe friendships are built on time, trust, and a true interest in getting to know that person. Time, time, time. Love=time.

I believe the saying that you don't need a ton of friends....you only need one or two really close ones. It's not quantity, it's quality.
May your life be blessed with REAL friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...