Thursday, November 13, 2008

Helping Others

Okay, Mary, here are some of my ideas...we've done some of these in the past.

Pack a big basket of goodies and leave it on a needy family's doorstep. Don't let them know it was you!

Pay for a stranger's lunch...especially someone with kids!

Work in a soup kitchen....my mom has thoroughly enjoyed that

Adopt a family and provide gifts....you can do this as a family or in a big group of friends.

Send them gift cards anonymously, so they don't feel indebted to you

Go caroling to their doorstep and leave them a special family gift...a wreath, an ornament, cookies...

Do the coats for kids and coats for adults too

I love buying gifts from the share trees....so fun to pick a child who just wants boots. Sad too.

Offer to drive them to dr. appointments then put some gas in their car while they're inside

give them the gift of a hot meal every Tuesday (or whatever day) for a year!

I once stood behind a lady I knew from town at the grocery store. She was buying things for her kids to come over. She ran out of money, so left some of her items behind. As she left, I told the clerk to ring them up on mine. I then delivered the items anonymously to her doorstep. I am not telling you that to brag myself up, but it is something God laid on me to do. Had I not been paying attention, we would have missed an opportunity to love someone else in that way. Don't miss out!!


These are small but very significant ways that you can help others. I promise you will feel more blessed than they do. It doesn't always take money. Most of the time it's just TIME. However, if you feel a pull to just give someone money, do it. It may be God's way of helping you fill someone else's need. In fact, I know it is!

Have a thankful and Blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don't forget to wish every clerk in the store a Merry Christmas. I may even wear a button that says,
"IT'S OKAY TO WISH ME A MERRY CHRISTMAS!" Gotta love that one!
Thanks, Mary for continuing to plant the seeds of giving in your blogs. It is so important to remember that every day of the year.

1 comment:

Princess, Daughter of the King said...

Great ideas Jami!
Thanks for posting it!
M :)

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...