Friday, November 20, 2009

Eye Can

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do something I can do.
Helen Keller
Lately I've really been focused on what I can do, since I am constantly reminding my girls that the word "Can't" is not allowed in our home. I cringe when Serena says, "I can't dribble so I don't like basketball." So, one morning when I had her all to myself, I began a dialogue with her about what we "can" and "can't" do and why. (by the way, she can dribble a basketball!)
Come to find out, she doesn't "like" basketball because she has a fear of messing up and being embarassed. Well, I could have told her that, but I wanted her to discover it on her own! Like a lawyer, I asked lots of leading questions until she had to say out loud, "I guess I'm just scared."
I don't know if it will make her want to play basketball, and frankly, I don't care if she does or doesn't play, but it has to be for the right reasons! We bring so much of our own childhoods into our parenting, and for me, it has been a positive thing. I was afraid of my own shadow as a kid. I was pent up, inhibited, scared to death of being embarassed, noticed, teased, etc.... It wasn't until Jr. high that I began to leave that behind. But oh, all the things I missed in the process! What a regret I had for not trying something just because I was scared. I told Serena how paralyzing fear is and that it shouldn't stop us from doing what we really want to do. I remember wanting to try something so bad that my heart would race, and I let myself down by not doing it out of fear.
I can already see that she's nothing like I was as a kid, and I'm so very proud of both of my girls. I can see that fear will have a harder time of tripping them up than it did me. God really used my fearful childhood to make me a better mom for my kids. I can teach them many things because I already walked through that and I'm sensitive to the signs.
At our house, we have a can in the pantry (until it gets used) that has eyes drawn all over it. When someone says, "I can't", they get the "eye can". I've even been handed the can a few times! Oops! Can they do everything? Of course not, and I don't expect them to, but what they "can" do is t-r-y before they give up!
I have started something recently that I've always told myself I 'couldn't' do, and it's like laughing fear right in its face. I'm doing it out of love, and so my fear is being replaced with the "eye can". I always thought I shouldn't turn people down when they ask me to do things that I know I can do, but sometimes I know it's just not the right thing for me. I find out later that I was needed for something else, something more difficult, and I knew my time had to be spent doing that instead.
One of my power verses has always been Philippians 4:13...I can do ALL things through Christ who strenthens me. He is working in my life and I can see Him working in my family. I am keenly listening for Him and following His lead for my life. That is something I CAN do for sure! No excuses!
Be blessed and get busy making yourself an "eye can" or better yet, have the kids help....it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...