Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yes, Connie...I Share Recipes!!

I'm sorry, but I think people who have a great recipe and won't share it are just mean. That's right. Mean! It's like the kid who has a giant chocolate bar and says, "Neener neener, I have something yummy and you'll never have it unless I decide to give it to you! " I mean, come on, food is to be enjoyed and shared, right? Who cares if someone wants to make your Grandma's famous cookies? I think you should be honored that someone loves it so much that they want to pass on the tradition of making it for the ones they love. No, recipes should not be coveted. They should not rot in the bottom of your recipe drawer long after you're gone. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if there are people out there not sharing recipes, that soon the "Recipe Paparazzi" will be following you around! You better guard it with your life. They will get you and we'll be eating whatever it is you are too stingy to share. I'm being funny, please withhold your hate mail.

Okay, with my speech being said, here is a recipe that I borrowed from the famous Taste of Home magazine. It was sent in by an obviously gracious lady, Nancy Roper from Etobicoke, Ontario, wherever that is. There. With credit being given, knock yourself out, Connie, here it comes! Thank you, Nancy, for not being stingy!!

Creamy Cranberry Coffee Cake (from Feb./Mar. 2003)

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
3/4 cup orange juice ( use the good kind)
1/4 cup butter, melted (not margarine)
1 tsp. vanilla (mexican, if you have it)
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
1 T grated orange peel

Cream Cheese Layer :

1 8oz. pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese, softened (the full fat kind, of course)
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold butter (not margarine)

In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Combine the egg, orange juice, butter, and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until well combined. Fold in the cranberries and orange peel. Pour into a greased 9" springform pan.

In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Spread over batter. (lick spoon) Combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over top.

Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 70-75 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before removing sides of pan. (Loosen belt and get a fork)

Yield: 12 servings

Enjoy, enjoy. It is a keeper. Everywhere I take it, people swoon and their eyes go back in their heads. It is a time-consuming recipe for sure, so give yourself lots of time to prepare. Oh, and if you're still being stingy with that recipe. Just give it up. I'm tired of your "neeners", and I will probably get tired of your "special dish" before too long as well!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Thank you my friend. It was delicious and your presentation was soothing..... Love you guys,
Connie

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...