Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Envy

It's a bit green...it's human.....it's........ENVY!


"ENVY IS THE ART OF COUNTING THE OTHER FELLOW'S BLESSINGS INSTEAD OF YOUR OWN" - Harold Coffin (wow...what a last name, eh??)


Isn't that the truth? If you're too busy wanting what someone else has, you don't even see what you have! When we were building our home back in '04 and '05, I was obviously excited every time a shipment came in. One day some cabinets came in while someone was visiting. I eagerly opened the box and said, "hey, check these out." She reluctantly looked at them, said not a word, and that was that. Over the course of the next few months, it became clear that that person was not happy for us. She became critical of our decision to build a house. Okay, so you didn't like the idea....be happy for me anyway! That's a friend, right?? Not if envy gets in the way.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not miss Suzy Perfect Pants. I've had my own issues with envy...like those working moms with all the cute clothes!! All those trips to Disney that double income families take....people with awesome in-laws who love them! I too could get caught up in all of that if I take my eyes off the blessings I already have...

1. The privilege of staying home, no matter the sacrifice (trips and clothes)
2. A great set of parents, awesome husband, loving kids, great friends who are like family (perfect in-laws are overrated)
3. A family cottage, camper, and a woodsy backyard.(Who needs Mickey Mouse anyway?)

Why would envy be such a problem if you're so happy in your own life? I think one of the reasons is that we walk around hoping and dreaming for that one thing that will "complete" us, whether we think it's the job, the kids, the house, the car, the love of family, etc...But what really completes us is having God at the center of our lives. If we don't focus on Him or His blessings that He has already given us, we become self-centered...too worried about what everyone else has. Then we become spiteful, bitter, angry, jealous. Kinda hard to walk around joyfully blessed when you're in that state of mind!

And yet, we've all been there at one time or another. Forgetting Who is in control. Forgetting Who has blessed us with exactly what He wants us to have and at the time He planned them for us. Forgetting that by putting others ahead of ourselves, we will be happy for them no matter what they have when we don't have it yet!! We have to have faith that if it's meant for us, God will bring it to us at the right time. In other words, we can't go around whining about what someone else got! It just keeps the blessings from yourself even longer!

Be happy for your friends when they get what you've been waiting for. God will shine on you and bless you for your genuine love for that friend. And if you're hurting over the one thing you've always wanted and didn't get, maybe it's because there is something even bigger and better in store for you!!

And to all of you Disney goers, please bring me back some Mickey ears next time, ok?? I'll think of you every time I wear them! And I'll want to hear all about your trip! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...