Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I'm Not Superwoman

Whew! I made it through the last two days. Natalie's birthday started out with a text from one of her friends at 2:42am...just minutes after her actual birth time. I thought it was so sweet of her to remember that! Natalie has such a great group of friends! They sang to her in 2 classes, then again at Basketball practice. I'm so glad she had a wonderful birthday!

I, on the other hand, was home struggling!

I had no plan for her cake. I knew Spongebob was going to jump out of it, but I had no idea what it was going to look like. It would be better to post a picture of the finished product, but it's still a no-go with this laptop. Anyway,I ended up frosting it ocean blue, adding a "wave-like" border, making sea weed and pink flowers here and there, and I made a paper-pieced Spongebob, in his shirt and tie, jumping out of the top, surrouned in confetti. Steve just didn't like the underwear idea. Natalie said, "Dad, I've seen Spongebob in his underwear lots of times!" I was pretty pleased with the cake and so was Nattie. I decked out the table in a summery theme, with pineapples, leis, and paper lanterns. It only took about 5 trips running up and down the basement stairs to find everything I needed, of course.

She loved her gifts, including a chandelier for her room from G & G! More add-a-pearls from G& G R, and DJ Hero 2 for Wii. I also picked up some cute accessories from her room and added a voucher for more later on. Surprise Steve! Serena is so thoughtful shopping for her sister. I think she wanted to spend ALL of her money on Nat! I finally talked her down to a smaller amount and she was very thoughtful in her gift choosing.

Steve rescued my dinner plans by offering to bring home China Palace takeout!! Oh, thank you, wise one! It really cleared up a huge part of my day since I had to take Serena back to the doctor at 3:30, and pick Nat up from practice at 5. I kept wondering how on earth I would get dinner put together in time.

As it was, it took me all day to make the house presentable, wash all the cake mess dishes, wrap presents, decorate the cake, wash practice clothes, and take care of Sophie. She was needing more of my attention today, of course. I was completely frustrated at least 5 times today! By the 4th time I lugged Sophie outside, I was ready to give up. I looked up to the sky and said, "OKAY! I'm NOT superwoman!! I just have the tee shirt! I get it!!"

I don't know what I would cut out in order to make my life simpler. I really enjoy making birthdays special for my girls. We're making memories! I know it takes a lot out of me, especially when I'm trying to keep so many other things going at the same time. The other night I was talking to my sister-in-law, and she said, "Oh, you always seem to be so together and have everything so organized and up to date." I laughed. "Oh, you are SO mistaken about that!" I told her how I thought I had ADD and therefore, I never seemed to accomplish anything! I'm just juggling the balls and trying not to drop any! She replied sweetly, "Oh, I've had 10 balls hit the floor before. I just try not to trip over them!"

I will remember that!

1 comment:

Jennifer Bovee said...

You may not be superwoman, but you ARE an amazing mom to your two girls! You really are making memories that will last a life time, plus you are teaching them how to love their children someday!!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...