Thursday, February 17, 2011

Love Speaks

God's been pushing me around a bit lately, and whenever I'm being disciplined by God, I try to listen and listen good! I don't want to have to be told over and over! Sometimes he whispers, "hey, it's gonna be okay, girly!" Sometimes he yells, "Hey now, chicky, what was that all about!?" But most times he just hugs me and doesn't say a word. Those are the times I like best with my Father.

I'm reading Gary Chapman's "The Five Love Languages" again. I've had the book for a long time and I read it quite some time ago. Although it spoke to me at the time, I thought it would maybe speak to me differently years later, and it has definitely has. I was getting concerned that my feelings of frustration, sadness, and anger were getting in the way of loving my family properly. I needed to know what I could do differently, to take the focus off the way I was feeling. I began by tearing out some notebook paper for each member of my family and writing on it the following question: "What are five things I can do to love you better?"

I wish I could say I have 3 completed lists and I'm working on them, but they haven't returned them yet! Serena did list one thing, and it screamed "quality time". That is one of the love languages, as well as "Words of Affirmation", "Physical Touch", "Acts of Service", and "Receiving Gifts".

I've been reading the book as I wait for my kids to come out of school, and several times I have had major "a-ha!" moments. There is a chapter that talks about what happens when we don't feel loved. I had always related that to marriage, and for me, I've always felt loved by my spouse. I often wonder still, "what's my problem? I've got it made!" Well, it's not just the love of a spouse that we seek. We're incomplete. There are lots of relationships in our lives that require the security and significance that love provides. Parents, friends, family, kids. When one of those is off, we begin to try to fill that void. Plain and simple, we were made to love and to be loved.

While I believe that I am secure in the love of God, I know that there are relationships He wants me to improve, and so He probably won't give me peace there until I at least put forth some effort in that area.

It's amazing how God has been using this book to open my eyes to things I had missed before. All things come at the right time when you're allowing God to work in your life. This I know for sure. I don't expect an easy ride, but at least I trust the Driver.

If you haven't read Gary's book, and you want to improve the way you love and communicate what you need to others, go get it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...