Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why?

Every mom knows what it's like to be questioned incessantly about every little thing. "Mommy, why that man do that?", "Mommy, why you have that?", "Mommy, why?", "why, why, why??" I never really knew 'why', did you? The worst question was "why is the sky blue?" Now, I passed science, but I couldn't remember exactly how to answer this question for a four year old. How I laughed the day my friend Glen answered his son in a complete, unabridged answer, and his son just said, "oh, okay." I tried to tell him they don't really always want the answer. They just like your attention as they pellet you with one question after another!

Well, my 13 year old sure has some doozies. I can't really share the nature of all of her questions because I respect her privacy, but I've had to do some heavy thinking, praying and answering. I sure long for the days of "mommy, why?" I'll take "why is the sky blue?" any day.

I have many questions of my own for my own Father, however, like my kids, I don't always get the answer when I exactly want or need it! I'm not always prepared to ask the question, and I'm certainly not always ready for the answer. Ironically, my biggest question is "why?", just like those little ones.

I know sort of why the sky is blue, but I have no idea how to answer some of the questions my kids pose now that they are older. Well, I know where to find the answers, but it doesn't make them any easier to explain, for sure.

Mommies, enjoy your little ones' questions now, because one day you'll be asked some pretty tough ones. Ones that you wish you didn't have to answer. Questions that even you don't know the answers to. Questions that make you cry and wish your child was still in the crib.

Enjoy them. Enjoy the "whys".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...