Friday, June 17, 2011

Trying to Keep Keepin' On

It's been almost a week since we lost her, and for the most part I'm doing okay. I have my moments of unexpected tears, and I notice I haven't done much smiling or laughing lately. It'll come..I'm a slow healer inside. Everyone else seems to be handling it so much better than me. I'm a wallower, I guess. Oh well.

What I've been doing to counteract my sadness is lots of physical labor. I spent 6 hours digging up sod around the patio, wheeled 4 loads of black dirt in, transplanted and planted, and hauled all the sod away. I stopped only to drink water! The next day I thoroughly cleaned the living room, and the neatest thing happened. I am a pretty regular "under the couch duster", because our dog would leave little tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere, so when I moved the couch out, I wasn't expecting what I found. Next to a couple of dog food pieces lay Sophie's old dog license tag. How it got there, I have no idea. None whatsoever! The last time I saw that, it was stuck in a garden stone we made of her pawprint for father's day one year. I can't find the stone, but there was the license tag. She must be playing with me. It brought a smile to my frowny face anyway.

This weekend I will be engaging in even more labor, as we assemble our new pool! What a lot of work it has been to excavate the area (by hand no less), haul all the sod and dirt away, and do all the measuring for the "footings". The pool is pretty heavy, so I will be eating my wheaties for breakfast for sure! I love a good challenge. As always, Steve and I enjoy working on big projects together. Weird, I know, but it works for us.

Our garden is doing really well, and it has been such good therapy for Steve and I. Among other things, we planted our "salsa garden", complete with tomatillos for the first time. I like to plant things the kids have never tried, so we planted purple kohlrabi this year. I grew up eating everything in our garden without blinking an eye. The girls are pretty good about trying new things. I hope they like it and all the salsa verde this fall!

The fruit trees are looking great and we're going to have a good crop of raspberries and blackberries again. Not so much for the blueberries, but they'll get there. We sure loved our asparagus patch this spring. Having fresh produce really helps me stay on a healthy diet and be a better cook for these turkeys too.

Speaking of turkeys, Miss Henny Penny has been frequenting the feeder lately, and doesn't seem to mind my presence on the patio swing at all. She clucks at me a bit and then continues to peck away. We have chickadees nesting in the birdhouse, orioles, and hummingbirds like crazy. It has been very comforting to sit outside and just be with the beauty that God created just for us to enjoy!! Don't you just feel special when you realize that? I sure do.

be blessed by all that you see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...