Thursday, June 2, 2011

Smitten with the Mitten.....again

It's official. I decided I like Michigan again. For months I questioned why we even stay here. It always seems cold or rainy or something unpredictable. After watching the last few weeks of news coverage of all the tornado-stricken and flood-ravaged states, I am now grateful to be here in chilly ole Michigan. After all, we might have some windy days, rainy days, and lots of snow, but it's all pretty moderate when you compare it to other states and areas of extremes.

I complain about garter snakes and spiders, but when I hear about the snakes and spiders in Missouri and Florida (and other places), I'm suddenly naming my garter snakes, "Cutie" and "Rocky". I'm liking the skinks now that I heard about a gator getting into someone's house (house!) in Florida. I no longer freak about a bee getting into my kitchen or ants in the laundry room when I hear stories of termites and cockroaches in warmer places. EEK!

Today happens to be a perfect Michigan day...low 70's, sunny, light breeze...beautiful. Birds are singing and the sky is blue as blue can be. I'm watching my newly planted garden come to life and all the beautiful flowering shrubs smell like heaven. There was a time we went a few years without grass and plants because we had just built the house. Our house was surrounded by sand and dirt and I couldn't stand it! It took some time, but 6 years later, I love to look out the window and admire all the green!

It feels like home here now, and while I get wanderlust now and then, it would be hard to leave this paradise, even for warmer places! Paradise is where you make it, and it feels like home to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...