Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bad Day Gone Good

What a day it started out to be! Steve told me goodbye and added, "be careful driving out there today." I just kind of looked at him and said, "uh, yeah, I drove in that yesterday.No biggie." He tells me it snowed a bit last night and might be slick. Okay.

I headed out to the garage and before I could even open the van door, I felt snow in my face. What? Snowing in the garage? Weird. After Steve told me to be careful I looked outside and nothing was happening. Just minutes after, it was a blizzard! The wind was blowing so hard that snow was blowing into the garage right up to the house door.

With a few "yikes" from the girls, we piled in the van anyway and I began to back out. I don't know if I've ever seen snow that hard and that fast in such a short period of time. We barely made it to the neighbor's driveway and I turned and came back home.

"MOM!!! WE HAVE EXAMS TODAY!! EXAMS!! I'M GONNA BE LATE!! LATE!! That was from dear Natalie in panic mode, which these days is pretty frequent. Teenagers. Yikes. She began texting her friend. I can just imagine what she wrote....omg(goodness)mmimmlforjtlskdhthedikdlsl!!!!!! Her friend's reply..."oh, you're so lucky to be home...but you're gonna miss exams.." Oh, dear. Luckily the snow died down after a bit and we piled back in to try again. I scribbled a quick tardy note for Nat and we were on our way. It was fine all the way to her school. Whew! She lamented the whole way...I hate being late! Oh, maybe someone else will be late! Do you think any buses are late? What will Mrs. T say? As she got ready to exit the van she panicked again, "DID YOU WRITE ME A LATE NOTE??" Yes, dear. It's sitting in your lap, where you put it. See, sometimes it's not just the moms who are demented. I didn't say that part out loud, I just wanted to.

By then the snow picked up again, and Serena and I slowly rolled our way to where her band class is held...a different building. We get there and there are no lights and the door is locked. Footprints leading to the door, but no people! What? I quickly called the school and found that the substitute got into a car accident on the way to school. I guess I wasn't the only one having a bad day. She's ok by the way. Car not so good. So we drove over to her school. "mom, are you sure I'm supposed to go to the cafeteria?" Yes, I just asked Mrs. D. Cafeteria. "Do you think you should come with me?" She should have known better than to ask me that. I'm wearing my too big "around the house" pants, my too big comfy shirt, and I barely combed my hair. I just drove in a snowstorm. I'm sure I look a fright. I just said, "no, sweetie. You know where to go. You'll be fine."

As I turned to make the several mile drive back home, the storm picked up again and I couldn't see the small city streets around me. I tried in vain to make it back, but I was forced to stop and visit with some kind people in their jammies having coffee. My parents. They even made me coffee, as mine was sitting in a pot at home. :)

The snow cleared. The sun came out, and while I didn't have my sunglasses, I made it home alive and grateful. And then my display on my van reminded me not to get too content as it blared out.."LEFT TURN SIGNAL OUT" and then "RIGHT TURN SIGNAL OUT". Hmmmm.....I turned them both on just to see, and they both worked just fine.

Looks like I win again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...