Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pages from the Diet Diary

It's that time of year again when it seems everyone is trying new diets! Well, not me. I'm still on my eating plan from May 9th, 2011, and it's still working. No magical formulas. No monthly fees. Nothing to join. Ever. Tee Hee.

Since starting my new plan, I've maintained a 34 pound-ish weight loss. That means that some days when I'm lucky, I see a missing half pound on the scales! I feel so much better. I look better. I sleep better. Life is the same, but I'm better. Even a little better with the SAD symptoms...so far.

Some of the successes of my weight loss are due to a change in the amount of food I was eating, not just the types of foods. Instead of a bowl of ice cream or a piece of pie, I put whatever dessert I want into a small custard cup. That's a serving! Piece of cake.

I quit eating red meat, and don't eat much bread or white potatoes. I still eat a custard cup size of pasta, but no more. What I've given up in starch, I made up for with vegetables. I also eat a lot of chicken breast. I don't eat much butter, and now favor the butter sprays. I love olive oil on most anything, so we bought an oil mister, and it works great. Um, let's see...what else....oh, I eat blueberries every morning and have green tea up to three times a day when I remember. I love fruit and yogurt combined, so that's a nice breakfast, and when you place it in the freezer for up to an hour, it makes a great evening dessert too. I love pizza, but now have it with thin crust, and if you make your own, you can adjust the toppings to be a lot healthier. Skip the cheese bread and go for the salad. Just a suggestion.

This new eating plan has helped me lose weight, but it has also helped me with my prior digestion issues. I'm thinking bread is probably the culprit and maybe sugar....either way, I cut down on both and I feel better. I love salad, and put just about any veggie you can think of in mine. Add a little light dressing and it's a go!

Do I have cravings? Of course, anyone does. I love sweets, so I have my usual 2 squares of dark chocolate a day. I will also sprinkle cinnamon on apple slices or have a 1/2 cup of dry cinnamon chex. Anything but junk, that's my thought process. Sometimes it works, sometimes I give in. I get back on track much faster than I used to.

Night time can be rough! I keep a little sugar free candy on my nightstand and find that those little sour candies keep cravings at bay. I also will go for a popsicle, a cup of ovaltine, or a carbonated flavored water. If all else fails, I pop up some popcorn and call it good.

Tomorrow (if I'm able) I will share my exercise plan with you. If you're starting a new diet or exercise plan, my best advice is to do it in small baby steps. One change at a time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...