Friday, January 6, 2012

Pages from the Exercise Diary

I was standing at the sink just the other day, and my daughter had a friend over. I can't remember what we were talking about, but I said, "hey, come over here and feel my guns!" They laughed, but humored me by coming over to squeeze my arms. I think I pleasantly shocked both of them. They were surprised that not only does mom have muscles, they're hard muscles! I told the friend that these are the only guns I need. That if someone messes with me, they will certainly be sorry afterward. She just smiled and suggested maybe I start wrestling professionally. :) I smiled and said, "what makes you think I don't already?"

It's nice to not only feel the muscles in my body, but to know that they are making it easier for me to move and perform tasks that used to make me struggle. Now, I'm not a bodybuilder...by far! But I have developed strength in my body by doing simple exercises each day.

I'm not a fan of working out. Not a fan of gyms, treadmills, sweat, fancy workout clothes, etc....I'm anti-gym altogether. I think they're gross! Working out can be gross too. However, moving your body and seeing results is anything but gross. So, why don't you do it?

Hmmm...well, let's see. We're busy. We're moms with kids who have various needs and demands. Some of us work out of the home, some of us just try to keep up the home. Our bodies may not be all that equipped for working out. Maybe your knees are bad, your lungs are shot, your back hurts. There are lots of reasons (and sometimes excuses) why exercise is last on the list. For me, I have what I call "baby lungs". They just can't take much, and it's been that way all my life. So, challenge number one. I also take medication to prevent migraines and to regulate my heart rate. Side effects are challenge number two! My medication wreaks havoc with my circulation, my blood sugar, and my energy level. There are some things I just can't do without trouble. For one, I can't get on my elliptical anymore unless Steve is home. That way I will have help in case I faint. Yup. Annoying, but I can't let it stop me, right? Going outside in the cold can make my hands and feet turn white, and sometimes they go numb for hours. That makes walking outside very unpleasant for me. So, what's a girl with challenges to do, you ask? Push through them!!

There are tons of exercises you can do if you have limits. I do free weights while watching tv, squats, push ups, sit ups, resistance bands, leg lifts, walking, going up and down stairs, pretty much anything I can do without getting winded or dizzy! Dancing is fun and a great workout too. I don't care what your neighbors think! Do it anyway. Kids love to dance. Get them involved too!

I guess the point is, find something you can do that fits into your schedule, whatever it is. I started out just doing 10 pushups a day. I then added 10 situps a day. You can do this in just minutes, before a shower, after your shower, after lunch in your office...whatever works. Just don't let excuses or well-meant reasons stop you from moving. My favorite form of exercise has always been playing with my kids. We would go outside and get a kickball game or basketball game started and just have a ball running around. I still maintain that if you do that every day with your kids, your benefits will be tenfold and not just for you!

Movement is the only reason my "itises" are under control. Since dropping weight and building muscle, I don't have the joint pain or the bursitis as bad as I did before. I haven't had lower back pain in months! This after spending over a year in pain! So, I guess my next point is find your motivation for moving, and write it down where you see it every day. Do you want to feel better? Then you better move!

And don't worry about a set time to work out. I stay home and I can't even do that! Sometimes I'm in the mood to work out at 8:30am, sometimes it's 8:30pm. Sometimes I'm running kids everywhere at those times. It's impossible to find just one set time a day. I don't put that kind of pressure on myself anymore. I just do what I can when I can and call it good enough. I don't spend money on work out clothes either! I have actually done my workout in my jeans and sweatshirt because I didn't feel like changing! And not only can gyms be gross, I don't like to be watched while I grunt and groan my way through exercise. I prefer to be alone. I also prefer to put money on other things besides ridiculous gym fees. However, if that is the only way to get you out of the house and it works for you, then do that!

ANd that is point number three. We just have to find what works for us and not worry about what works for everyone else. I'm a pretty unconventional chick. I don't worry about whether my shoes match my yoga pants. Heck, pants that are a size too small qualify for yoga pants, right?? SO, it just makes sense that my workout regime will also be unconventional too.

I could probably do much better, but I figure I'm doing better than I was at this time last year, and next year I'll be doing better than I am right now. I'm willing to be creative about it, to put the necessary time in, and to be patient while I allow myself to adapt to the plan.

And that, to me, is success in exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...