Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Spiritual Resolution

I heard something interesting on the radio this morning....people are so concerned about making resolutions about their weight or fitness, but they don't seem to be as concerned about their mental fitness. Hmmm....if it was me, I'd be more concerned about my spiritual fitness. In fact, I am a bit concerned about it. Not because I'm lacking in faith, but because I don't always exercise my faith the way I should. I let doubt creep in....I let anger take over...I get spiteful....I feel..I feel...I feel...fill in the blanks. "Feelings" get me in trouble! Truths never do! And where is truth? In my Bible, sitting there in my bedroom. What my Bible is saying to me is "I miss us", "Where have you been?" "I'm dusty", "Hold me", "Take me with you!", "Don't leave!", "What about me?", "Are you going to spend time with me today?" And what I've been saying is..."this laundry! Oh, I'll never see the bottom of it!", "Out of milk again? One more trip to the store..", "basketball practice...hmm..what does she need for that?", "What? You're sick, what can I do hubby?", "Sure, I'd love to bake for that bake sale", "Ooh, I love that show!", "I'm tired", "Ugh..I should do those dishes", "A hallmark movie? Count me in!", and on and on my excuses/reasons go. Sure, I pray and have long talks with God. I listen for His voice every day. I watch for Him to move, but if I don't know enough about Him, I'm going to miss something good! In fact, I'm missing a whole lot of good. I know this because my life lacks peace in a few areas. You too? Oh, sister/brother, you're not alone. Don't ever think you are! Last night as we were sitting in the Meijer parking lot waiting for a prescription (over an hour), I turned on Family Life Radio (which I love) and what were they talking about? Tithing. Something that has been heavy on my mind since our finances have gone south. (big surprise? No, reality for many...most in fact) Anyway, it got me to thinking about some things I need to resolve to do spiritually, and I don't need to pray about it. It's what the Bible tells me to do. And God will make it possible, as the speaker on the radio reminded me. One thing I know for sure is that God will ALWAYS help you if your desire is to GLORIFY Him. I can try (again) to lose weight and try (again) to get fit, but I don't want my spiritual life to take a back seat. It's the battery of my whole being! Without it, I am nothing. Literally. A shell. Without purpose. So in 2013, I'm not making resolutions. (I never do) I am going to pick up that Bible and I'm going to spend time in the Word again, the way I used to...back when I was more peaceful. I am going to begin journaling again, because what I've written in those journals have been mind-blowing to me! God may not have said it that way in His Word, but He really can "blow your mind" if you want Him to! I want Him to blow my mind and I want to please Him in all I say and do. Now THAT is something that is worth my time. THAT is a resolution He will help me to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...