Friday, February 7, 2014

Sports mom

Sigh. We drove an hour to go and watch Serena play less than 5 minutes. She plays post, and out of a 15 girl team, she is one of 5 in that position. She continually works hard in practice and has made so much progress in the way of playing more aggressively. She doesn't miss a practice, is a team captain, and encourages everyone else. And yes, she plays well. I am really sick of being all humble and dignified about this. I am tired of telling my kids to give 150% while coaches repeatedly give them nothing. It happened with Natalie, who because of her scoliosis, we knew she only had junior high sports to be part of. It broke my heart that she had so little play time, yet played like a champ. Ask anyone. It's not just a mom thing. So why do they continually get overlooked? Shame on you coaches who treat junior high sports like the Olympics!! This is a time to learn that hard work= play time. And let me just say we have won only one game and it was the worst team in the league. We are not awesome by any stretch. 
I am not one of " those moms" who chews out the coach because my daughter didn't get to play enough, but I fear it might just come to that if I have to sit there and see what I continually see. 
I am aware that I am being hypocritical about this. I constantly tell my girls what the Bible tells us about this very thing, "never tire of doing what is right." 
So we will suck it up, tell her to work just as hard, be just as kind, and respect your coach. Even though I know it will not result in an immediate award for her. The reward will come later. I know this because when Natalie went through it, she taught me that because she was treated like that, she became a better person, not a bitter one. She's amazingly humble and has a kinder heart than mine.  I'm a mom first and when I feel my kids are missing out when they are trying their hardest, I can't explain the anger I feel! Mama bear- at it's worst! 
It brings me back to what has become a broken record in my head, the phrase we often utter to our girls, "life isn't fair". 
No, it isn't. But lessons come in the hard times and growth happens when we stick to doing the right thing. Growth is never fun, it is always painful, frequently unfair, and sometimes it's just downright stinky. But when we get past it, we can look back and be glad we didn't blow up, didn't quit, didn't make a fool of ourselves, and didn't tire of doing what was right. 
And most of all, I want to look back and remember her junior high sports with a good attitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...