Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Get A Hold Of Yourself

Sorry, guys...if you're looking for excitement in my blogs, it's not here. I do have some stories to tell, but they will have to wait for now.

Another great point from the book I'm reading, Spiritual Secrets to Weight Loss, by Kara Davis, M.D. is about self-control. She writes, "Victorious living requires self-control, which is an attribute of the Holy Spirit. If we abandon self-control, then the mind-set of the victim will soon follow, not only in our eating but also in every area of our lives". I think she's onto something here....
What? We can't be victorious until we get a hold of ourselves?? Makes sense to me. The opposite of victim is victor. What does it take to be victorious over the area of our health? Approach your circumstance with a desire to change it. Challenge yourself to gain self-control through the power of the Holy Spirit, which you already have in you.
The author makes another point with this situation: If an obese person was stranded on a deserted island and had a limited quantity to eat and had to work to find it, he would eventually lose weight. Someone get me there, quick!
Genetics do play a part in our body types, but the fact is, if we eat more calories than we can burn, we get fat. We don't need that extra food for energy, so it is stored as fat, plain and simple. There are some situations where weight loss is compromised, like with some medications or hormonal changes, other physical conditions, but most of us don't fit into those categories. My husband had thyroid cancer and his weight is very difficult to manage now. He gained a lot of weight after his surgery and it is twice as hard for him to lose weight. That really means he needs to work twice as hard at it. When you work a lot of hours and want to spend time doing things with your family, working out ends up at the bottom of the list.
Do you see yourself much the same way? Are your kids and family taking up most of your time? As mothers, we think that's the way it should be! Just don't let it become the reason you don't exert the self-control over your health.
We can't blame our positions, our relationships, or anything else on why we are the way we are. It's time to be the victor, accept the challenge, and choose to get a hold of ourselves!

She ends each chapter with a prayer:
Lord, I thank you for giving me a free will, and I thank You also for giving me wisdom in making choices that pertain to my health. I ask according to Your Word that You give me the strength through Jesus Christ to lead a lifestyle that is pleasing to You.

AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...