Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Limey Straightenbaccchhh....

We just arrived home from another trip to the surgeon and orthotist in Saginaw. Nat was due for an x-ray and checkup. We've had a lot of challenges with her brace so far, and it has been tough trying to figure this out! We had some issues with the way part of the brace was shoving into her armpit, and the fact that it was so long in the back that she couldn't use the bathroom. Her clothes sort of fit over it, but pants are the real challenge. She has some that will go over it, however, as she walks or sits, they creep down the back and she can't feel it happening. Hello! Who wants their pants falling down? Especially at school! Fifth grade is hard enough to concentrate on without all of that monkey business going on back there.
Our answer to that was to have her put it on immediately after school and wear it until she woke up the next morning, leaving it at home for the school day. However, we weren't sure that it was helping her much doing it that way. We just didn't know what else to do. The surgeon sent over a prescription to the orthotist to cut it down a bit, which Ed did not want to do! He said, Oh well, if Tony wants it done, you gotta do it! Tony is Dr. Debari to us, of course. I insisted something needed to be done about this bathroom issue. No one should have to put up with that.
So, we will try it again. The x-rays with the brace on showed that there is improvement while she wears it, so that's good, I guess. He put some pads in it today, as her body is trying to fight the brace a bit and overcorrect on the opposite side. At this point, we still don't know if this will be enough to prevent a future surgery, so we are just doing what they tell us to do and trusting them.
She will probably wear her brace to school this week. I pray the kids will be understanding. She has a lot of friends and is well-liked in her class, so I really don't think she'll have a problem. She's pretty well-adjusted and she likes herself!! Praise God for that!! I'm probably more worried than she is.
It was a long day in Saginaw, so Daddy stopped at Baynes and got us some nummy yummies...cider donuts, apple cinnamon rolls as big as dinner plates, pumpkin ice cream, and honeycrisp apples. I just may eat them all and go to bed. I stillllllll have my headache, but I got a nice call from an angel who says she has a remedy for me. I will be calling her tomorrow for sure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...