Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holy Walk

I can't believe I forgot to mention our trip to the Holy Walk on Friday night! We've gone before, but wanted to take my parents with us this time. It was their first experience, and boy,was it good!
If you've never done the Holy Walk, I URGE you to go one of these years. However, if you have small children who freak out over Monsters, Inc., you should probably leave them with a sitter.
Homer United Methodist Church sponsors it each year, and is in its 34th year. Now 8 churches are involved and it is a super performance. It is a recreation of Bethlehem and what travelers would have experienced on their way to see this new King that was being talked about. It is about as real as you can get, without the palm trees and the desert, of course.
I don't want to tell you about each and every detail because it really is an experience you have to have for yourself.
I will tell you that my mom got persuaded out of our "family" by a villager who was desperately trying to sell her a laundry basket. Natalie got snatched to try some bread, and they wanted to see my dad's teeth to see what he was worth! I got pulled a few times, but kept reaching out to grab my straying family members. Mom was just being too nice as usual! Those villagers wanted us to buy their wares, but we had to save our money for our taxes or we'd be in big trouble.
Of course our journey ended with the birth of our Lord and Savior. All the kids asked was, which one was Mary? The big one or the little one? Wasn't that a plastic doll? Do you think they're feeding those donkeys? Was that it? Did you see the gloves on Mary? And on and on. my funny girls.
My dad enjoyed the experience immensely. He got right into it!
What a great way to remember the reason for the season. What a gift we already have in Jesus!

Shalom! (you hear that a lot on the journey) I can't wait for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...