Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Relationships: Broken and Bonded

I absolutely love the Christmas Tea each year. It is so special to see all the creativity and beauty in the tables. It is great to see new faces, especially those who don't know the Lord yet. Those are the best! Carla Ives gave such a wonderful talk last night. It was honest, genuine, straight from the heart (and God), and real. There's nothing I enjoy more than a Christian who is real!! I have found that by bonding with all types of people that the easiest ones to talk to are the ones who don't try to flower everything up! Those imperfect, burping, grouchy Christians. I love them! I can relate to that! :)
She spoke of relationships and the importance of bonding with other women, whether it is our family women, women of the church, or our friends and co-workers. She made the point that women are often way too hard on each other. Ain't that the truth, girls?? Some of us are if we'd admit it! We're (and if you don't do this, you're excluded) so quick to jump on someone's flaws...as Carla said, "I could nail them to a wall! But say something nice? Um, well, I hope you feel better...." It often is easier to criticize than to build up and encourage.
Her message was pretty clear. We are to love and hold each other up. You may not like the person sitting at the Christmas table, but God placed you and that person at that table for a reason, and placed that person in your family or church for a reason. If we walk away because it's uncomfortable, are we loving the way God commanded us to? Hmmm.....what a thought that is. It's pretty real, isn't it?
I was in awe over the many beautiful tables and the sweet welcomes I heard around me. If anyone didn't feel loved last night, they must have been in the bathroom too long! I was extremely blessed by the ladies at my table, 4 of which do not attend church, and 1 who is new to our church. More importantly, they left there feeling blessed by a church who loved them! Good job, CWC ladies!! That's what it's all about!!
Relationships can be easily bonded, over a similar lifestyle, situation, or bats in the toilet (you had to hear Carla on that one!). But they can be just as easily broken over mistrust, jealousy, pride, envy, anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, and the need to be "right". I don't want to preach about this, but I can guarantee that fixing it (with God's help) will bless you tremendously. And if it doesn't seem to be fixable, know that you did all that you could to make it right and move on.
That's my soapbox for the day....I promise you funny next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...