Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Big Silly Funny Kid Life

Yes, anonymous, I used to do shadow puppets with my girls...no spiders!! I don't do spiders in any fashion!

You don't have to have kids to feel like a kid again. You don't have to be a kid to play! I heard something on the radio the other day that talked about how many times a child laughs a day vs. how many times older people laugh a day. It was a huge difference! Of course, it makes sense that we have more things on our minds than kids, and that's why we're not always laughing, but the study said that the less you laugh, the grumpier you will be as an older person. Well, I don't want to be a big grump! At least not permanently. Grumpy moments, yes. Grumpy me, no!

So, get out there and do some fun things. Feel like a kid again. Here are some of my favorite "kid" activities any "big kid" can do!

1. Shoot baskets! Backwards. Granny style. Bounce shots. Eyes closed. Opposite handed. Behind the rim. Get a pal and play "HORSE", "PIG", or "BOOGER".

2. Rake up a big pile of leaves and jump in! No trees? Play it a little risky and do it in the dark in your neighbor's yard! Just don't jump in a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. Just a little something I learned from reading "Peanuts". And if you have a dog, watch for "tootsie rolls" in your leaf pile.

3. Blow up the air mattress and pop in a favorite Disney movie. Pop some popcorn, grab some candy, put on your jammies, and hang out "sleepover" style. I'm a little partial to "Aladdin". This IS more fun with kids, but you can always adjust the movie and add an adult!

4. Throw marshmallows at the ceiling fan, as you may have seen in one of my past posts. It's still fun and a good reason to install a fan if you ask me.

5. Chase the dog or cat around. Let them try to "get" you. Back in the puppy days, Sophie was a hoot, watching her chase us around the house and the yard. She had a thing for gloves, and would pull them right off my hands and then run! She also loved to jump in leaves. Pets are a great companion for fun. Sophie doesn't crack me up as much these days, but I love talking about the old days with her. :)

6. Swing on a swing. Slide down a slide. Eat a popsicle--a red one! Drink loudly with a straw, eat fries with ketchup, use the back of your hand as a napkin!

7. Attempt a cartwheel. Learn to whistle with your fingers. Try to hula hoop. Pop a wheelie on your bike. On the way to the Emergency room, be sure to tell the EMT's a good joke or two.

8. Offer to babysit for a friend or family member. Steve and I love having younger kids around. We just sit back and laugh at all their antics, remembering how much we enjoyed our little girls at that age.

9. Take a nap! Kids have it made with this one, I think!

10. Read a favorite book from your childhood. I recently read, "Are you there God, it's me Margaret". Took me back to age 12! I hurried and came back...yikes!

11. Answer the phone in a weird voice. Answer the phone, "Bubba's Beer Barn", but only for telemarketers, in-laws, and whoever else would "get it". You would be surprised at who doesn't!

12. Sit cross-legged on the floor. Okay, I am just kidding. I can't do that!! ouch!

13. Read the comics. Watch your old favorite cartoons. I love the Looney Tunes, but I'm also known to catch some Jetsons or Flinstones! Yabba Dabba Doo! Hey, open up your front door and yell that right now!! Did you do it? Did you think about it? I knew it!!

14. Write everything in crayon for one day. Excuse notes for the kids, shopping lists, checks! Love notes for the lovey in your life. There's just something special about the smell and the feel of a good ole crayola. Try Play-Doh too. There's a smell that will take you back to kindergarten!! So will the smell of pee, but that's another story for another day. Some kids just aren't that funny.

15. Remember that God has a sense of humor. He loves children and watching us enjoy our lives. We're still His kids!! That means while we are being adults, we can still have mindless fun!!

I have more ideas, so if you're having trouble pulling out your inner child, let me know and I'll give you some more tips! I will never stop "being a kid" and I am always drawn to those who know how to play, little kids or the really big ones like me!! Big ole boring dull grouchy adults just don't do it for me.

So, Anonymous, get out there and be a kid! Have fun!! Come up with a clever shadow puppet and post it on YouTube!! Dinosaur, Horse, Unicorn...but no spiders!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jami,

You crack me up. I just may try some of your kid idea's!!! And the spiders, that's my best act. I'll have to try some of the other ones. Love ya, Pam

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...