Thursday, February 9, 2012

Number Eleven

I think God is a big basketball fan. I really do. He has been to all of the girls' games...even a scrimmage! He has sat and cheered with us, for sure, but I think he whispers to the coach too! :)

Each game, I've told you before, I pray for the girls. I always pray for Natalie to have "a moment", and I don't care what it is. The fun part is watching to see what that moment turns out to be. It's not always scoring points or getting to play a bunch.

As the season comes to a close these next couple of weeks, Natalie just seems to be getting warmed up! The coach has been playing her more, leaving her in longer, and she has been scoring! Her defense has gotten so much tougher, and she's cutting girls off (a good thing in basketball), knocking the ball away from the other team, and making it really hard for the other team to shoot!

Last night she made two really cool baskets from her usual "spot". I felt myself smile a real smile. Not the one I have on my face, but the kind you feel in your heart and your eyes! She has worked so hard to prove herself and to be valuable to her team. I guess that's what it means when you say a player "has heart". Well, now she's got game to go with it!

After the game, she received hearty congratulations from former coaches, and friends' parents, grandparents, classmates, and us, of course! She got a big bear hug from her best friend...who is NOT a hugger, but is one of many of our really good athletes on the team.

Nat used to complain that she's not a natural athlete. While many of her classmates are natural athletes, she has had to work twice as hard just to be half as good. That has turned out to be a blessing for her. And oddly enough, a blessing for me too. I used to be frustrated, watching her sit the bench, or watching everyone beat her down the floor while she struggled to just keep up. I used to feel anger toward the coaches who didn't give her a chance or believe in her. I knew how much she wanted what the other girls could just do without effort. I watched her keep trying, while other girls could rest. That was so not easy! I stayed with her after practice to work on volleyball serves because she wanted to be better for her team. She wouldn't give up!

While some will still say winning is everything, or winning is more important, I have to guess that maybe they've never had to be on the other side. Maybe they're used to being first string or having a naturally athletic child. They don't know what it feels like to watch a kid work twice as hard and still not get to play. I can tell them what winning really feels like because I've been on both sides. I was a high scorer on my volleyball team in high school, then watched my kid sit the bench. That is a test, my friends! It's a test of humility and grace.

I have to say I had my own "moment" during Serena's Saturday games. I was talking with a mom who was very frustrated about some things regarding the game. I saw myself in her. I heard the anger, but I saw the hurt, and I knew exactly what she was feeling. I patted her and said, "it's okay, mama. Just cheer on your girl. Nothing else matters!" It's something that took me a couple of years to learn. I hope she gets it faster than me!

And last night's moment? Well, I know what Natalie's moments were, but I had some of my own too. After I got Natalie home, she walked into my arms and let me hug her for a good long time. She said, "hug me harder. My back really hurts." I told her I would hug her so hard that her spine would straighten right out!" She was sweaty and hot and I didn't care. That's what I call a "moment"!

Rock on, Number Eleven!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...