Saturday, April 18, 2009

All Day Fun Workout

My workout week has been very successful. Except for the moment where I was begging for mercy, I did rather well with my strength training and conditioning. I feel I am finally getting back on track and re-dedicating myself to my exercise habit! Today I worked out...ALL DAY.

We have a million things to do around here, but because it was so beautiful outside, we decided to work outside today. We basically carved out a big spot in the woods to build our house (almost 4 years ago), and much of the excavating and lawn work is still not finished. It is pretty time- consuming, for one, and expensive for another. Dirt is not cheap, contrary to popular belief! There's really only so much we can get done in a weekend with everything else going on. It is frustrating, but it is what it is. I'm sure you can relate.

So, I decided to clean out the woods behind the girls' swingset. I was only going to burn the leaves in the ditch and pick up sticks. Ha Ha.....according to Steve, I was "raking the woods". Makes it sound futile, doesn't it? Well, I raked quite a large area "in the woods" and it looks wonderful!

I hauled, I raked, I cut branches with my saw, went back and forth across the yard all day....I figure I burned about 6 million calories! Every muscle aches, and I love it! I know it's crazy, but I love to cut and burn and work outside. Even with the humongous spiders out here. I'm not kidding. There was one with a belly as big as a nickel. I told the girls I was glad I'm not a nickel. I didn't see any snakes, and for me, that is good news. I'm usually the first one to find any snake anywhere, whether it's here or somewhere we're visiting. I'm rather popular with nasty critters, apparently.

Physical labor does wonderful things for me. It keeps my stress level down, which is important for anyone, really. Seriously, if you are a type A ( I'm borderline), you need to stay active! It will keep you sane. Get the kids to help in some way or pull out a surprise for them that will keep them busy while you work. It can be done, you just have to get creative! My girls are old enough to help now and are very good helpers. They wander off now and then, but enjoy being a part of the activities. In fact, Serena told me today that she loves our work days because we spend ALL day together having "fun". I love it!

I have no idea how I'm going to feel in the morning, but if my muscles hurt, it's because they worked for me today! I'm a tough boss apparently.


"I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13
ALL things. even yard work and exercise!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

sounds like you had a wonderful day outside!! I LOVE days like that!

we had a beautiful weekend too...it actually hit 75* on Saturday!!!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...