Wednesday, April 1, 2009

DIY: Martha Wannabe's Cheater Cleaning Tips

Martha "Stewart" that is! I am far from the craftiness and preciseness of Martha Stewart, queen of all things home and beyond. I'm not sure I really care if all my knives are facing in the same direction! However, we're at that season where we think we need to clean. So here are some of my favorite "cleaning" tips. These can be used in 30 minutes or less and make your surprise guests think you spent all day cleaning!

1. Dryer sheets are your friend! Stick them in heating vents and between the cushions of your furniture. Use them to shine up dingy faucets.

2. Baby wipes are great for more than just cute little bottoms. Use them to wipe up spots off the kitchen floor, fingerprints, and sink tops.

3. Wherever you think your company will go, concentrate on those areas. All other areas...close the doors. The hostess should always initiate a "tour". The company should know better than to ask if they drop in unexpectedly!

4. Scent is a great way to make people think you've been cleaning. Candle warmers hidden behind plants or picture frames is the way to send a favorite candle scent into the air without the flame. Use cinnamon or vanilla or both.

5. It was proven in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Windex does the trick! Use it to take spots off your fabric chair or barstool cushions. Stains will take a hike. Wash the glass nearest the door your guests will be arriving at. It will smell like all the windows have been washed.

6. Clutter all over the floor or counters? Keep a big basket handy and do the ten second tidy. Throw everything in, then stash it in a nearby closet or room. Then shut the door! You can always put it away later.

7. Oops...didn't get the dishes finished? No problem. Keep a new, pretty towel handy so you can drape it over the nasty dishes. Polish the other side of the sink. No one will notice the dishes. If you have pots and pans or baking sheets, toss them in the oven. Hang another pretty towel over the oven door. Voila!

8. Throw a load of clothes in the dryer (clean ones). The smell of fabric softener will permeate the air outside. Guests walking up to the door will immediately relax.

9. Fabric refresher spray is wonderful. Keep a scent on hand that you like. Spray curtains and rugs, throws and pillows. It really makes the room smell like you just washed down the walls.

10. A baking scent candle burning in the kitchen will make it seem like you just took cookies out of the oven. The flame draws the attention, making any messes "disappear".


Those are my 10 most commonly used "tricks" for faking out guests who gave me short notice of their arrival. NOW, for all of you who say you just came to see me, and not my house. That's such a dignified and polite thing to say, and I've said it many times, and I mean it. However, I know how much it matters to a woman to be prepared for company, and I respect that. That's why I will call before I drop in. Who knows what you're doing! I once gave some advice to a friend whose landlord kept walking in the house uninvited and unannounced. I told her my solution. Walk around naked. She'll surely knock next time!

Happy "cleaning", my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...