Friday, June 19, 2009

Faux Pas x Two = Tasty Flip Flops

What a couple of days! Today was busier than yesterday, and more stuff disappeared from our garage sale! We talked to many interesting people. I'll leave it at that. I am an interesting person too, as it turns out. I'm sure I didn't score any points on this one.

I tasted the fine flavor of pink flip flop and choked on it. Only it was completely innocent. A case of mistaken identity really. I thought I sort of recognized this lady as one of my sister's old friends. My sister is 6 years older than me. So, I asked her if she knew any of my older siblings. She didn't recognize any names, yet I was sure she was someone familiar. Then she informed me that she didn't know them because she's only 39. I said, oh, you're my age then. DUH!! Why did I say that?? I didn't think she looked old at all. I was just locked into that familiar face! She's probably a younger sister of my sister's friend, but we didn't get that far. She just kind of walked away. Mom whispered to me, "you just stuck your foot in your mouth big time!" Oh, that made me feel so much better! I couldn't stop thinking about how stupid I was and how I had offended this very young 39 year old. I'm pretty sure she'll come back and maybe teepee my house sometime.

I hate the thought of being so careless with my words, even if it wasn't meant that way. I should have learned yesterday with the blonde haired boy..oh, Jami, you're such a dope!!

I could blame it on fatigue and stress, but I'll just call it my two big ole dummy moments of the day. I earned 'em!

I did have a couple bright moments too, I have to say. My aunt and cousin stopped by today, and we had a very nice visit. Uncle Larry (their husband and father, respectively) passed away last September, and it's been a rough year for them to say the least. June represents his birthday, father's day, and their anniversary. Tough week. It's been a rough struggle for their family. These "firsts" are very painful. I sat with my cousin today and said to her that people really don't know the pain of losing a parent unless they've gone through it. Turns out, that is something that is hard for her to deal with. Some people at work just don't empathize well, and it leaves her with few people to talk to about it. I listened and agreed, and she told me that she knows I care and can talk to me about it. Thankfully, my foot stayed out of my mouth. God knows how I don't want to say anything wrong in this situation.

Then, my dear friend Patty called with a request. What should she do for a friend who's having a double mastectomy tomorrow? I just happen to know someone who has gone through that, and although we didn't talk about it regularly, I did remember some things that comforted her during her bout with cancer. I gave her some ideas, and she said, "I knew you'd know what to do".

God knew how much it bothered me to offend that sister friend lookalike lady, and he knows how I beat myself up over stuff like that. He gave me two goods to cancel out my two bads. He just works that way, and I am so grateful for His mercy! I need it.

Tomorrow is the last day of the sale. I can't wait to see what I'll learn next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...