Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Is It Worth It?

As you know, we have been very busy lately, and I am getting to my exhausted level. Too many late nights, long days, and running. Lots of running. Today was no different, as I sped around from daylight to dark, working on this garage sale. I started out my day pretty tired, having not slept well at all. Got up early, made some coffee, and read from the book of Romans. Felt pretty confident, and got going on my jobs. I actually felt weary, trying to lift, sort, move, decide, carry, price, think, answer questions, clean, fix, etc... I was just overwhelmed. Not enough rest, not enough sleep, not enough relaxation. Not enough joy. Is this worth it? I am telling you it has not been at all. I consider myself a pretty strong and determined person, but this has been a new me for the past couple of weeks. I think God has been trying to reach me and I've been too busy to hear.

My kids asked if we could just build a fire and play some ladderball, but I couldn't stop what I was doing, as I am already pushing just to be behind. Nothing has been going right at all. Steve fixed our broken patio umbrella today, which was so appreciated, but then lost control of the wrench. It hit him in the head, then landed on the glass top table. Need I say more? At that point, I would have cried just from frustration, but I was too busy to do that, and I don't cry much! Steve is fine, by the way. My back has been killing me from all the excess strain, and I have lost my appetite. It is just not worth all the hassle to lose my joy. I am telling you this as a lesson, not for a call for a pity party in my honor.
When our power failed at 6:24 tonight, I was ready to throw in the towel. I had just about had all I could stand. The girls went to VBS with a waffle and a raw carrot. We ate the grilled chicken by ourselves. Three hours later, we got our power back, and though I'm glad, it didn't help me get my laundry done at all.
So, what is all of this trying to tell me? Stop!!! I have made myself an easy victim of an attack by the enemy for sure. I have myself too tired, too busy, and too stressed to be an effective Christian. Since this is an unusual circumstance for me, I'm sharing it with you in hopes you will not fall into the trap of "doing it all" and losing your joy in the process.
I am very glad to have had the past few days hanging out with my mom while we prepare for the sale. Having her calmness and sense of wisdom near me has helped me to stay sane. She brought all the lunch and snacks today, cleaned the kitchen and living room with the girls, and has done nothing but try to make my life easy for me this week.
She pretty much drops everything for anyone, even though she is very behind on her chores too, and doesn't feel well much of the time. Not a martyr, just a loving mom and person. I include dad in this too. He has been here too!! Helping and doing what he can to be of service.
So while I've missed the mark on many good things this week, I can still see my blessings clearly, and I have already promised a big family picnic and bonfire for all of us!
I think as women we get pretty impressed with ourselves when we can so-called "do it all", but it's not something to be proud of at all. All I could think about today after each small frustration was this...."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil. 4:13
That's "through Christ", not through me at all!!
Be blessed and stay tuned...

1 comment:

Princess, Daughter of the King said...

Thanks for being honest Jami!
I can SO relate!
"IS it worth it?"
Great question!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...