Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I DO!

I've been attending Jenn's "The Excellent Wife" study on Tuesday nights, and she was surprised that I hadn't been posting about it at all. Well, I think it just had to sink in a little, or maybe I just had to do the required reading... Remember, I don't like workbooks!! I do love to read, though.

Anyway, what is an excellent wife? My husband thinks I'm excellent, so who cares what I think, right? Well, it's been more than just learning how to be a better wife. It's about learning to serve God through serving my husband. Ouch, feminists, right? Well, news flash here. We serve God by serving ANYONE, so why not the man we cherish most?

My marriage is second only to God. I know my husband feels the same thing. We have an incredible marriage that has been a huge blessing to us and our kids. This does not mean that we are exempt from troubles and it sure doesn't mean we are the perfect pair. It does mean that we work at serving each other, and we spend time showing our love for each other. We work through issues respectfully and without yelling. Don't accuse us of having it figured out, it's just that neither one of us is a yeller by nature. I just don't do it because it's not me. It's not him either. Thank God!! I can't stand yelling.

So while our relationship works for us, I am always looking to make things better. We have been together for 20 years, and I'm smart enough to see how much we've both changed in that time. Things can always change. That's why you don't get too comfy and rest on your laurels!! Always strive to do better. Always. Say "I DO" again and again until you DO!

Someone in class said to me, "I thought you were a more submissive wife than what you're saying here." I think I was objecting to something the author said. I actually do submit to my husband out of respect, not out of feeling overpowered. That's a common mistake people make when thinking of the word "submit". He is the head of the household, and we make a lot of decisions together, he doesn't "require" me to bow down or be the "little woman", but I respect him as the spiritual leader in our home. I know my purpose as a woman, and I know his as a man. When we are carrying out our purposes and not trying to control the other, things work like a well-oiled machine, believe me!! I don't have to be a doormat and he doesn't have to be a dictator, contrary to society's distorted view of a Biblical marriage. We have a partnership, and we are equals. However, we were designed by God with our own unique purposes as a man and a woman. I won't get into all of that here. It would take too long! Read the book...it's by Martha Peace. Also check out Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerich's. I can't say it enough..it's an awesome book!!!

So, yes, my dear classmate, I am exactly the wife you thought I was! :) Something must be right about it, because it works! So, there you go, Jenn, my analysis of the first three weeks of class and of the first few chapters. I have been challenged and convicted by the reading of this book. While I understand it's a little "Howard and Marion Cunningham" at times, there is a lot of truth pulled from the Bible, and you can't argue with God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...