Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Get By With A Lot of Help From My God

Since speaking my faith more in circles where it is not well-received, I've noticed something about God that shouldn't surprise me, but it takes me back, for sure. I have to be vague here, in order to respect the situation and the people involved...try to follow me here.

A situation came up where someone was really struggling with something. I knew human logic was not going to serve this person well. I knew the only thing that was going to strengthen this person was God's Word. However, I was not alone. Someone else believed in human logic. I had a fight on my hands.

I was careful, because I was in the minority. Neither one of them is a "walker". In fact, crawling would be an improvement, and I pray it happens soon. I immediately threw up a prayer asking for guidance, wisdom, anything!! It came, and in a way that calmed me down in a hurry.

As I spoke God's truth in a way that this person could receive it, I then had to keep my strength up to deal with the human side of things. Vague, I know....sorry. I had the person in crisis settled down, but I had to face some human perspective from the other person. That usually gets me all up in knots!! God had a way of giving me "just enough" and not "too much" in order to relate to this person well.

I had written down 2 verses a couple days prior to this situation. I was in the book of Colossians, and these 2 verses really spoke to me. Now I know why. The first one is Col. 2:8, which says,

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of the world rather than on Christ."

Whoa....I would need that one later.....then Colossians 3:12-15 became even clearer....

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clother yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body, you were called to peace."

PEACE was exactly what was needed at that time!
Let me tell you, I was so blown away that God had given me these verses way in advance, and that they came to me as I was dealing with a delicate situation. He spoke truth into the situation and took me right out of it!! You can't argue with God. Well, you can, but you'll lose.

This situation had the threat of making me feel persecuted for my belief system, and there was a day when I did feel like an outsider because of it. Christians in families where there aren't a lot of believers often feel judged, or get called "fence post sitters" because they don't react to every situation with emotion. They get accused of being naive or immature, etc... because nons don't understand our reliance on God, not other humans and not ourselves. We're seen as meek (their definition of the word) or weak or uninvolved, unable to stand up for ourselves. It's really so opposite of what we really stand for as Christians. That "humility" factor is not understood among them. How could it be, when it's hard for Christians to be humble sometimes? Especially when someone doesn't respect our faith.

When I started to feel a bit "dissed" for my take on the situation, I grabbed the nearest Bible and went to be alone for awhile. I prayed first, then opened it up to Galations, Chapter 5. Bingo.

"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.: Galatians 5:16-18


I also read the fruit of the Spirit also in Chapter 5, verse 22..."But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

Oh, yeah. I needed to remember those too....

I was quickly reminded that just because we're doing what God wants us to do, that it won't be easy or comfortable at all! However, no matter what the reactions were, I had my peace, and no one could take it. I had my Truth, and I was sticking to it. I was asking God what he wanted me to do and say, when there would have been a day that I gave my own opinion and messed it all up. This time I took a risk and let the pieces fall right where they fell.

I wasn't mad at those who stuck to "human tradition", but it made me sad to realize all they are missing out on without their hands firmly grasped in God's. Life is so hard, and going through it without knowing God's Word has to be even more difficult. I spent some serious time praying for their eyes to open, hearts to soften, and for the Truth to penetrate in a surprising way. I know this is a desire for nearly every Christian I know, that someone would come to know Christ in a personal way. Prayers for salvation should be number one on the list. Being a Christian who practices what he or she preaches is SO very crucial to those you are leading. Being a good example, though not popular at the time, will soon be something they remember when they finally meet the Christ we all know.

God is good, and He was there with me, as I was put in a situation that I didn't think I could handle. My initial feelings of defeat were put to rest as I read those verses. He continues to test me and give me trials, and I am on full alert! Praise God for His Word and His leading. Without it, I would have nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...