Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Our Summer Project


The girls are enrolled in the local library's summer reading program, and the construction project this year was to make a model of Jellystone Park. We have been hard at work the past few days getting it planned and put together. What fun! This is right up my alley. I think I had more fun than the girls!

The girls with the finished product-- so proud. And glad to be done finally!

Some fun stuff on our model was a firepit with "flames"...a battery operated tea light, covered in clay, vellum flames, and real stick "logs", a rushing river, waterfall, and "beach" area with real sand.

We made a boardwalk, and signs....Natalie's Canoe Rental, Serena Falls, and Beware of Bears. The "cattails" were made from artificial grass and q-tip cattails. We made a popsicle stick picnic table, paper tablecloths, and a foam cabin.

I added a few of my own touches, such as a spider crawling near the tent, a bear in the "No bear zone", and white lacy underpants hanging on the clothesline (near the tent).
The library is full of these cool projects. If you can, stop in and see them all. I think they begin judging next week for different categories. Now I need to come up with food-related costumes for the costume party at the library.....hmm.....any ideas??





3 comments:

Hannah said...

What a super fun project!
I'd like to do something like that!!! I just have no reason to! :)
I wonder if our library does these fun things? You know, that's one place that I still haven't visited since we've moved, and I've been wanting to! Maybe next week, I'll put it on my list!

Great project, good luck with the judging!

Anonymous said...

OK I voted!!! You, Serena, and Natalie, won the first prize. How creative and fun.....
You prize will be in the mail...
Love you guys, Connie

Kim said...

That is so kewl looking, you are such a great mom!!!!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...