Monday, October 26, 2009

A Dandy Candy Holiday

I am pro-chocolate, pro-candy, pro-(cute and funny)costume, and pro-kids! While I understand some of the reasons people are anti-halloween, I don't understand them all. I for one, refuse to give evil any special recognition! You'd think, oh, well, then don't celebrate Halloween. No, it 's actually in reverse, at least for me. I choose to make Halloween all about fun, pumpkins, candy, and all things good! If all the Christians shut their porch lights off, then I guess all the kids have no choice but to knock on doors in the dark. I would rather greet them with a happy smile and give them candy. After all, it is all about the candy. At least it is for my family. And since we enjoy dressing up and acting silly, this is the one day you have license to do that without appearing crazy. (not that it should stop anyone)

Evil exists out there every day of the week, not just on Halloween. Just look around you. Churches that put on carnivals and fun activities for Halloween have the right idea. Don't take it away, but change the meaning. We aren't celebrating darkness unless we have darkness in our hearts. You don't need a holiday for that. It's just that knocking on doors for candy in July is well, just plain weird!!

So, whatever your opinion of Halloween, remember to at least eat some chocolate. And if you really want to make someone happy on a typically scary day, take your kids to the local senior centers and nursing homes. They absolutely love to see all the kids come in. It does wonders for their spirits!!


Be blessed, and don't be afraid to let your (jack o lantern) light shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...