Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Woeful Wednesday...

I awoke early on Wednesday morning to my very restless dog. It was about 4:30 am and it seemed she wanted to go out. In her old age, she has been doing this nightly wake up thing for a while now. For some reason, I put on my slippers and wrapped in a blanket and followed her outside. I then noticed her stumbling and tripping, unable to walk a straight line. She made it back to the steps and just as I ran to her, she collapsed.

I quickly scooped up my 49 pound baby and ran into the house, straight into the bedroom to wake Steve. He was already awake, having seen the lights turn on. I was already crying, scared to death of what was happening to her. She was alive, but clearly not acting normal.

We put her down and watched as her head turned to the side repeatedly, and she seemed to stare at nothing, all the while not being able to stand. She didn't seem to be in pain or other distress, and as it was so early in the morning, I couldn't call the vet. So, I curled up on the floor next to her and tried to comfort her as much as I could. I prayed, of course, and I panicked, all at the same time, however impossible that may seem.

We couldn't see the vet until later in the afternoon, but upon talking with the vet, it seemed she was having some kind of dizzy spell. I guess it's common in older dogs. He said to give her a dramamine to help with the nausea and it would help her sleep. Well, we both needed sleep at this point. I made her a comfy bed next to the couch and tried to lay down with her. She kept picking her head up to look for me, so I finally laid down on the floor and put my head next to hers. Mind you, we have a hardwood floor in the living room. I didn't care! I was so exhausted and all I wanted to do was fix her, so I fell asleep right there with her, hard floor and all.

Because I have so much trouble lifting her, and I knew I couldn't deal with the unknown diagnosis without someone there, I asked Steve to take her to the vet. I couldn't go with him because of the kids' activities, and on short notice having no one to help us. My mom has been sick and I didn't want her to know what was going on. Well, Steve has had some pretty rough days at work with certain things going on and the last thing he needed was to leave work in the middle of it, but he did. For Sophie and for me. Probably not the easiest thing to do, but I have to say, Steve is a family man first, and I am so grateful for that.

Serena decided to help Daddy open the doors since he had to carry Sophie in his arms, so she went along to the vet. I asked him to please keep her in the waiting room during the exam, just in case. By the time I got back from Volleyball with Nattie, they had already returned. I didn't know if this was good news or bad, and I had already taken something to calm me down, preparing for the worst.

It turns out, Sophie has what is called "vastibular syndrome". In other words, her equilibrium is off, and she is extremely dizzy. It is common in dogs her age, it should go away within a few days to up to 2 weeks, and it is extremely rare for it to be permanent. Good good news!!!

I was so relieved at this news, as the whole day I spent crying over her, thanking God for 13 special years with her, and wondering if the day of decision had come. I was a wreck, as I told my friend, who graciously prayed for me that day.

She is still very unstable, and I have to assist her in everything, including bathroom duties, which is interesting and I won't go there! She's pretty heavy, but I carry her everywhere and let her ride with me to school so she doesn't think I left her. It has been difficult, but I am thankful I am home for her, because I would probably lose my job by now if I worked. I hate to say this, but I don't think I'd care!!

So, today is our 15th anniversary, and I made a turkey dinner. We won't be going out, and no cards will be exchanged. I've never really cared about cards and gifts on our anniversary. I am just thankful we're still happily married! I'm sure once my mom is well enough to take the girls and our dog has recovered, we will go out and have an evening together. Some things just have to be first. A good marriage can handle that and a whole lot more!!

Woeful Wednesday ended up being Thankful Wednesday, by the way.

2 comments:

Shoemaker Family said...

A thankful Wednesday, for sure. Congrats on 15 yrs! And so sorry about Sophie!!! It's so easy to get stinkin attached to our pets! We missed seeing you 4 on Wed, but understand!

Jennifer Bovee said...

Aw Jami, I'm sorry you had to go through that with Sophie, but I'm glad to hear that she will be okay.
Congrats on 15 wonderful years as well! I will be thinking of you and saying a prayer for Sophie.
Take care friend,
Jenn

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...