Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pride is the Master of Disguise

Here's a little something I want to share about this "little" thing called Pride. I hope it hits you where it hit me.


My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny...because you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...because you
"deserve better than this."
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already
know it all.
I cheat you of healing...because you're too full of
me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to
admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you of vision...because you'd rather look
in the mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because
nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...because real romance
demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you
refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince
you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I'm always looking
out for you. Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me
You'll never know.

(Taken from Praying God's Word, by Beth Moore)

The Bible tells us that God hates pride. That's a pretty strong word, coming from God. I think we'd better listen. Pride is the end of many homes, relationships, lives. It is the enemy of churches and marriages, friendships, and joy. If you're full of yourself, you can't be full of the Spirit of God. Sounds to me like Pride would be a pretty good tool for the enemy.
What is the opposite of pride? Humility. If we don't humble ourselves, guess what? God will humble us. He won't put up with that very long at all!

In this book, Beth also provides scripture-based prayers specifically for help in dealing with the issue of pride. One simple one goes like this: "Father, help me to understand that the pride in my heart is deceiving me." (see Jeremiah 49:16)

I think pride is so deceptive that we don't even realize that it's our main problem! It's taken me a long time to recognize certain thinking patterns and behaviors were just pride in disguise. It's a daily prayer of mine to ask God to help me keep only the pride that is acceptable to Him, and toss out the rest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...