Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Leave No One Behind

A few posts ago, I was talking about the importance of being "part of the circle", and making sure to include others (all others) in that circle...

Last Sunday, Pastor Dave's sermon touched on that very same concept. I can't quote him word for word (shoulda been taking notes), but the idea was that we need to be bringing people to Christ. What people? ALL people.

Then today at Bible Study, our fearless leader, Barb, talked about loving people, even difficult ones, and why that is so important to God. Some people irritate us, and really that's our own problem. Pray that we can see them the way God does, and whammo, you've got yourself a good thing.

Gee, ya think I was supposed to learn something here or what? I got it. Loud and clear, and that's why I'll keep talking about it here and everywhere else. It's like the economy. There is a lot to say about it, and people will keep talking until it's "fixed". How about a "spiritual bailout"? That's what I want to focus on here.

Can we bail others out spiritually? I wish we could, but it is a choice people have to make for themselves. How do they know what they're missing? You are supposed to be showing them. Not preaching at them. Showing them. Preaching is called preaching for a reason. No offense, PD, you're the best! And when you're not in a position to show them, pray for them and pray for yourself to have patience with them until they come around. Don't give up on anyone. They deserve that much from you. Why? Because God loves you and gave the ultimate sacrifice for you. That's good enough reason.

I have been rejected before, have you? Do you realize how many wounded people there are out there? Too many. Before I really got to know who I was in Christ, I let a whole lot of people lead my emotions and my reactions. I allowed my need for approval to take me on a roller coaster, which ultimately led nowhere, and the ride made me sick. Until I really understood that God loves me and will never forsake me, I let all that stuff fester up in me. Do you think I was fun to be around? Does that describe anyone in your life right now? What can you do about it? While you're thinking about that, I'll give you a couple of examples of mistakes Christians make. (myself included, though I'm ashamed to admit it)

I once asked someone I knew and liked a couple of questions. One was to request that if there was another fun ladies event at her church, would she inlude me. I explained that I was feeling empty at my current church and had started searching for another one. She weakly agreed. I don't think I have to tell you that she never invited me, although I knew there were some going on at the time. I took it personally, but accepted her reason; she forgot. My next approach was to ask if she could take some time with me and talk to me about her church and the dynamics of it. I told her that I didn't want to change churches without getting personal testimony about that church. Her reply was again, weak. Indifferent, noncommittal, lukewarm. At the time, I was frustrated. Didn't anyone want new people to come to their church, or what? I began questioning...doesn't she like me? Am I a horrible person? Am I not good enough?

Obviously, I was not very secure at the time. I was unhappy with my spiritual life, my friendships (too many lived far away and we had little contact), and I had 2 small children and a busy husband. It was clear that I was needy. That scares some people off, I know. It has scared me off before too. What wrong thinking that is, guys. Just wrong, and we all know it. Let me tell you the price we both paid. I no longer look up to her. I still like her and I'm not angry, but a part of me is still disappointed. I pray I have not made someone feel this way, but I am on the alert. If I have, there will be apologies, let me tell you. Relationships are important to God.

It's a big deal when someone reaches out to us and wants what we have. That's the work of a fruitful Christian! Just don't get so comfortable with yourself that you don't want to accept the challenges when they walk up to ask you questions! We sometimes don't want to deal with "broken" people because they suck the energy out of us. Yup. They sure do. We don't want to have a "tag-along" at every ladies event because we want to have fun and not worry about her all night. Yup. We are afraid to invite people in who might embarass us or sit with us and follow us around. Yup. Who says I'm not the one being a pain in the hiney? I've certainly been a pain to someone at some time. I'm not saying I personally feel that way about others, because I truly don't. I would be excited for someone to ask me the two questions I once asked a Christian. I have been inviting the same people to things and they never come. I would be ecstatic to see them there. Although my patience is thin in some areas, I tend to be more patient with people. I guess because I know I am not perfect and never will be! (Until I'm dead, that is....)

I understand rejection. I see painful emotions in people. There is a lot of insecurity out there. Someone comes to church once, no one talks to them, they never come back. Why? Someone just needs to throw them a line. Just one person. Who wants a tag along? GOD. Who wants the annoying, critical, oversensitive person sitting in church? GOD. Who loves that person the same as he loves you? GOD. Only God can give a spiritual bailout if someone asks him, receives his son, and asks for forgiveness for their sins. I believe through time with God and fellowship with other caring Christians, that a person can emerge into a confident, loving person. It is hard to be patient with people who are the description above. However, I was once a fraction of that person, and because of my patient, true Christian friends, and my spiritual growth, I am not that person anymore. To those who judge and criticize, ostracize, and reject, I say, shame on you. You are really missing out. When it comes to God's family, leave no one behind. Pray for your own eyes and heart to soften, to allow that person the grace that you yourself also need daily.

Be prepared for more posts about rejection. Evidently, God has a direction with this because it keeps coming up!

1 comment:

Jamimania said...

Jami, I really loved this post. I can totally relate. I feel like that needy person right now. My best friend moved to South Africa a while back and we left all the rest of our friends behind 4 years ago when we moved here. Sadly, none of them keep in touch. I tried for a while, but then when it appeared to be "one-way" I kinda gave up. I haven't really made any close friends here. We don't really have a solid church home, but have been attending a church here for about 6 months. I've participated in 2 women's bible studies and still don't feel a connection with any of the ladies. I went to a ladie's night and it was alright, but it just seems like I don't fit in. I've been praying about if that's my fault or if I'm just looking for friends in the wrong place. It would seem that the best friends I have right now are online. I'm thankful for that... but wouldn't it be nice to have a friend to go have coffee with, or pray with? Anyway... I wish someone would ask me to tag along. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts and wisdom on the subject, I'm going to tuck this one away... who knows, maybe one day I'll be the one to invite someone to tag along.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...