Monday, March 16, 2009

You're Never Too Old For Dirty Knees






What a beautiful Spring tease we had this past weekend! Tease or not, we enjoyed it for what it was and expected nothing more! That really is the way to enjoy life, isn't it?

On Saturday, we headed into town to buy Serena a new bike! She was so excited to be able to pick it out herself, and to not have to ride "sissy's old bike" anymore! She outgrew it by the end of summer last year anyway. It's pink and purple and she rides like a pro.
We piled out of the van and the girls ran for the "barn" to get busy playing. The sidewalk chalk, the jumpropes, the basketball, badminton racquets, the ball and bat, tennis balls, the kite, moon shoes, butterfly nets, yes...all of it! Natalie played a little one on one basketball with me, then with her dad. She's getting quite good, that one. I spent a long time using one of our new purchases, the super pooper scooper. Our dog was very faithful all winter to "go" in nearly every available spot. I then uncovered all the shrubs, picked up sticks, and determined that we must have a million deer and rabbits nearby, as I picked up that doo doo as well.

Steve kept busy doing "barn" stuff. I usually steer clear of that, as I've encountered furry critters many times while helping him. It turns out I'm not much help at all when I'm running away screaming. Let's just say I'm not a dependable "ladder holder" at all. Poor guy.

So, the girls and I have had a tradition ever since they were old enough to participate. The girls gather natural materials from the woods (except for moss) and then build a "fairy house". We have a book of really unique fairy houses, but they usually do a pretty good job on their own. They create the walls using sticks, then make furniture out of bark, leaves, pine needles, berries and pine cones. They usually put in a garden, firepit, a hill to climb, pond, swings, pathways,and whatever else their imagination allows. They are always a fun and unique creation of both of their ideas and they are always proud to show it off. Of course, the "fairies" come to visit, and if they are pleased, they leave quarters inside the house. The girls are pretty smart in keeping this tradition, don't you think??

They love to gather the materials together, walking in the woods, carrying a pail. I always enjoy watching them decide what they will pick up and use. They know not to disturb living things, so it has given them a respect for nature. Of course, Steve and I appreciate that they still like to get dirty and play! Until I do the laundry, that is......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...