Friday, March 13, 2009

My name is Jami, and I am a mother....

It seems there are more support groups for more and more things these days. I'm not complaining, but I just don't see one where I fit just yet. I mean, do they have a support group for mothers of pre-teens? Nope. Do they have one for aging dog owners? Do they have one for people who watch too much Mary Tyler Moore on DVD? I didn't think so! Now, these aren't really "problems", per se, but there are times I wonder, is there anyone out there like me? Anyone to relate to? Anyone who knows what I'm talking about?? Helloooooooo???

Sure, there are groups for baby and toddler moms, but what about the moms of older kids? Yikes. Do you know there are worse things out there than potty training and weaning? Yes, it's called puberty! It's called acne! It's called boys! It's called.... okay, you get the idea.

We humans have a need to relate to others, especially women. I mean, get us in a room together talking about childbirth, and do we have the stories! Bring up chocolate and we all laugh! We do seem to have a lot in common, but sometimes not enough. Sometimes you do all that laughing and walk away empty. Why is that, I often wonder....maybe we're looking for something that's hard to find.

Having been an eleven year old girl myself at one time (long ago), I should know what she's going through, right? No! How could you think that? She's not me! It's not the 80's anymore! Life is so different for her than it was for me. I have the books, I've done the research, but what I need is a mom who knows what I'm talking about! Maybe her daughter is about 13, so it's still fresh in her mind and she's still dealing with it. That's the support group I would join.

Yes, the Good Lord is helping me to raise these fine girls, and he won't let me down. I still believe he will bring me that mentor I described. He gives me the grace I need each day to do what is best for those two girls. He'll provide me with all the support I need. He will prepare me to help other moms too!

Well, while I'm waiting for that support group, I thought up a few others I'm hoping will surface soon....

"I ate too many m & m's and now I'm craving chips" Support group

"I can't find my keys, my watch, or anything else" Support group

"My dog is peeing on the bedroom carpet " Support group

"I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize myself" support group

"I can't stop singing the Mary Tyler Moore theme song" Support group

"I wear my husband's socks because I don't have my own" Support group

"Oh where oh where did my muscle tone go?" Support group

Okay, there are more, but I will spare you of my incessant ramblings for now. This is what happens after dark when I open up a fresh coke. I guess this is what also happens when moms realize the "talk" is inevitable...ugh! I'm just freaking out a little. Do you have a little one? Take a look and picture having to tell them about the birds and the bees. Are you in tears yet? That's my life as I know it right now! This growing up stuff is hard for them and for me too. I didn't really plan on ever re-living my childhood. Through your children, you just do! You love them so much and want to help them out. You can't help but feel what they feel. Support group? We moms need an ARMY of support! I think I'll bring a truckload of m & m's to the first meeting......:)

Be blessed today, and if you're a mommy like me, hang in there!

1 comment:

Jamimania said...

HEY!!! I'm so excited to meet another Jami (maniac) ;) and our names are even spelled the same. WHOA!! I just wish you lived nearby because I can totally relate to you. I love the name of your blog and cracked up at all your support group ideas, but seriously... I think your idea about starting a mother of teens support group is an excellent one. You may have noticed on my page that I'm going through a change of seasons as a mom. My daughter is graduating in a couple of short months and my son turns 15 next month. *sigh* Where oh where have my babies gone? Seems like just yesterday I was diapering them and kissing ouchies. :( I posted on this recently and received lots and lots of encouragement about this being the way God intended it. I know that to be true, and I'm sure that this new season will be as much of a joy as the last... maybe even more joyful, who knows!? :)

You are entering the season I'm just exiting and I'd like to offer my support to you sincerely and personally. I may not always have the answers, but I am a good listener and will gladly share what I know with you and encourage you however possible. I think a message board support group would be great because people could sort by topic to get answers and encouragement specific to what they're experiencing or struggling with. Whatta ya think? I'm going to go check that out. Maybe that's why God allowed "the Jami's" to meet? ;) Talk to you soon!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...