Monday, August 11, 2014

Life at the Lake

We had a nice quiet relaxing time at the lake this weekend. Although I miss my old active self, playing "no-rules" crazy badminton and squirt gun fights, and winning at horseshoes (yes, I did dad), it's okay to be quiet sometimes. When you're quiet, opportunities to experience nature just might happen. I saw "Jasper" the Eagle "teenager" and heard him squealing at his parent quite a bit. No pictures, though I could see him sitting upright in the nest. He's quite the unruly boy. (or girl, I suppose)



Like these Canadian geese, who saw me coming with my camera (not crackers) and came to check me out. They got closer and closer, then just sat there as if to say, "where are the goods, lady?" I honked at them, they honked back. The truth? We don't feed them because they are stinkers! They poo all over the beach and get sassy with kids and dogs. So we enjoy them from afar and call them peaceful.  Once in awhile we get a lonely loon at the lake, and that is really cool to hear. (Think On Golden Pond-love that old movie!)

The girls asked me to do their annual photo shoot in the field behind the cottage again this year. I do a shoot or two every year with them and although it's exhausting, I do enjoy photographing my girls. I don't take them to a professional for photos, which surprises a lot of people! I don't do a lot of things "other people" do. I've been blessed to have my own camera, though it's not the professional version I desire, and I have always loved photography. When asked why I don't turn professional, I simply reply, "it would ruin my hobby!" It's true. I did think about it at one time and even took courses, but once it felt like a job, I decided to keep it my hobby. I don't regret it. Taking pictures brings me peace and relaxation. I really need that outlet.
It was hard to pick just one favorite of my beautiful girls! They are fun to photograph and have been little hams since birth! They are so used to having my camera in their faces for every little thing. Back in my film days, the developing center at Walmart knew me by face and had my order ready before I got to the counter! I kind of miss those "film" days. That's another story....

I had a completely different post ready for today, but I guess it will wait for tomorrow! I hope you will tune in for my Garden post tomorrow. Unless something better pops up in my mind, of course.... :)

Blessings to you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...