Tuesday, August 5, 2014

LOVE. COMPASSION. MERCY

One of the things I've been putting into practice the last few days is something I have always needed from other people. My daughter, though now feeling pretty good, was feeling sad for awhile. I encouraged her to feel whatever she needed to feel, without telling her "it could be worse", or "others have it worse", or "you need to get over it", or "it will get better". Yes, all those things are certainly true. But were they what she needed to hear at the time?

A phrase that really kicks me in the gut is an innocent one, but it can hurt because it seems to invalidate or discount  feelings. "Talk about your blessings more than your burdens." Yes, we should do that! Yes, it's true! But sometimes the feelings need to be expressed in order for us to get to the blessing part. Sometimes the burden needs to be shared in order for us to learn from our hurts and disappointments. Sometimes that statement makes me feel as though I should just gloss over what has just happened or is happening in my life for someone else's benefit or comfort level. I'm the type of person who implodes. If I don't get the feelings out in the open, they not only cause health issues in me, they begin to affect the people around me too. Once out, I'm able to put them in proper perspective, move on, then share the blessing that has come from the burden. Please don't tell me to stuff my burdens. I may tell you to stuff your little sayings. :)

LOVE. COMPASSION. MERCY. Just a few of my favorite "sayings". I can't stand to see people hurting. People of any age or situation. It really doesn't bother me when people tell me they are hurting or have medical problems or in-law problems at all. In fact, my dream was always to be a counselor. Had I been able to pursue my dream, that might be what I would be doing today! Listening and helping to get people back on track! So why do people get so annoyed when others talk about their problems "all the time"?

It can be a perspective problem.. Maybe it's a tolerance problem. I once had an acquaintance who told me she thought anyone who had to take anti-depressants or had post-partum depression was just "silly". Another commented that she'd leave any Bible study that became a "therapy session". Yet another said that some people just come with too much "drama"! All of this may be true, but are we just being a little insensitive and impatient with people? Are we really all that put together that we can't tolerate other people's issues anymore? Is a friend going through a divorce too draining for us? I thought that's what we were here for? What if that Bible study is the only place she can unload? What about the woman at the well? Should we be annoyed with her too? Because sometimes I hear Christians pretty annoyed with her, even I get annoyed with her. What is wrong with us that we think people have to meet our standards before we can tolerate them? And, hey, by the way, I can be annoying. Can you? I'll bet on a rare day, you might be. Just sayin'.... :)

LOVE. COMPASSION. MERCY. Feelings are what they are. Sometimes we don't agree with what people feel. I certainly don't agree with 80% of what I hear most of the time when it comes to "feelings"! They are so fickle! But they are to be met with patience, and people need to be accepted if Christ is to be seen at all.  When someone loses a loved one, I have learned to meet them wherever they are emotionally. So why can't we do that for other situations too? Isn't that what helps people get through life? Knowing someone understands or at least is willing to walk through it with them? I hope we are quick to remember that sometimes someone's situation isn't one that we'd find ourselves in, but that we'd remember not to judge but to extend love, compassion, and mercy. Because it's what Jesus did for us in our mess.

Thank God he didn't get up and leave a Bible study because it became too full of drama for him, or stop his relationship with a friend because she made a mistake. He showed LOVE. HE gave COMPASSION. He gave MERCY, and he WAS and IS all of those things today so that we will give that to others.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'm reading your blog just after doing some studying in the book "Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation" by Robert Mulholland" It's a great read. Very challenging but you might enjoy it too. He says in the chapter on community that only when we choose to be vulnerable and honest with each other can we truly grow in our journey of faith. The same is true with being vulnerable and real with God. I feel the same way you do Jami. I need to process out loud with others, to express my feelings. I also find it hard to find people I feel safe with. Fortunately I have a few including a Spiritual Director I pay for. I think people don't want to listen to us because they don't want to deal with their own stuff.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...