Thursday, December 4, 2014

Love, it's Simple

Sometimes people are so busy "being Christian" that they forget to be like Jesus. 

I said that yesterday to dear hubby, as I explained to him who has been tending to my heart lately. 

Sure, there are some wonderful Christians who have reached out and let us know they are praying for us, and we feel that love. 

But it occurred to me that the two people (aside from family) who are helping the most are just ordinary people. Not "I'm praying for you" people (got those), but people who don't go to church, don't talk about their faith (though they believe), but they are just simply "there". 

There to talk about nothing or everything. There to say I'm sorry you are hurting or laugh at my silliness. There to reminisce about our high school days or talk about our kids. Not always about loss or grief. Sometimes we wonder why. Although God does come into the conversation once in awhile, it's a matter of letting Him handle it. In other words, these conversations are a very soft place for me to just be. 

Like Jesus is there for me. 

I really hope that I am that kind of person for others. That I don't just spout off Scripture, look or act the part, but am not present for that woman at the well, or for that man with leprosy, or for that friend in need. 

Some people do let their church, their faith or their religion get in the way of people. They claim to be holy, but don't want to get "dirty". God don't let me be like that. Ever. I have been let down the most by these people, these "friends", due to the wrong expectations. I don't want to do that. 

Because I see how these "ordinary" but extraordinary friends are filling my heart, just the way God has intended to use them. I'm not sure they've read anything in the Bible about humility or kindness, but they are true examples of how love changes people. 

Every person created by God matters. Every life has a purpose. No two people are packaged the same or speak the same way. It takes love to see beyond the package. 

And dear hubby said, Amen, and thank you PD for teaching us that not all Christians have to think or be the same to serve. 

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'm so glad and grateful Jami that you have friends that provide a safe and soft place to be. I'm very sure that you provide that for others as you are able. I think we who walk through deep trials know how to walk well with others. May God continue to comfort and strengthen you day to day.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...