Sunday, December 21, 2014

Wrong Numbers

I've taught my daughters internet and phone safety, and they're pretty careful. Natalie is particularly wary of "creepers", since she seems to get the most wrong number calls on her cell phone. 

Now, this child is downright funny. I do not know where she comes up with this stuff. ;) When she gets a wrong number call, she will sometimes have a friend answer it because she is too scared. The friend will then tell her what the caller said. Instead of blocking the call, she will then label it. In one instance, she typed in "kid who calls me dad". Another one got named simply "weird guy". Now if these calls come in, she laughs and says, "hey mom, "kid who calls me dad" is calling! " she gets such a kick out of it! 

One day as I was getting ready to go somewhere, she came running into my bathroom with her ringing phone. "Mom! Mom! Answer it please! It's that number again! It won't stop calling!" A little annoyed, but feeling a little mischievous, I took her phone from her, and in my best British accent, I said, "Hahlloo?" I was quite surprised to hear an older gentleman's voice on the other end say, "Mrs. Thompson?" Choking back laughter, because by now Natalie was in a fit of giggles on my bed, I said, (still in composed British) "I'm so sorry, you hahve the wrong numbah." (I'm dying now) He paused for a moment, and I was sure the jig was up..."Ok, sorry", and thankfully he hung up before I blew my cover. It's not like I was lying. It was the wrong number, and I have a great British/English accent. I love tea and scones and hats. ;) 

"I am nehvah doing thaht again!!" I said to  Natalie, as I collapsed in laughter. 

And she typed in next to the stranger's number, "Man who asks for Mrs. Thompson". "Thanks mom, you were great! I can't believe you did that! It was so funny!" Yeah, I scored points with my teenager. 

So, a few weeks later, she comes running to me again. "Mom! Answer my phone! "Man who asks for Mrs. Thompson" is calling!!" Do your southern accent this time!! 

And no, I did not do that again. That girl needs to learn how to block numbers, answer her own phone, and Mrs. Thompson probably owes that man some money!!! :) Pay up, sweetie. ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...