Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sophie Dear

We're in a difficult position this week, as we are facing the possible loss of our beloved pooch, Sophie. She's 15, and has been hanging on by a thread for quite some time. Though she's still doing some normal things, she appears to be having some pain. So, we're taking her to the vet tomorrow to get their opinion on her health. We realize we're way too close to the situation to make a logical decision. We love her dearly and want what's best for her. We want what's best for our kids too, and that's to keep their best friend around as long as possible.

I have mixed feelings, as I've had this dog since I was 26 years old! Though I had dogs as a kid, she's my first "real" dog. She belongs to me. However, I can't bear to see her struggle, and I can't bear to break my girls' hearts. We're just in quite a rough spot. Our hearts are breaking little by little and we can't bear to speak about it in great detail. We've begun to speak in code, so that the tears don't fall just yet. Oh, but believe me, mine have been falling for a long time anyway. Sigh.

I have tried to imagine life without her. I have pictured myself alone at home without my faithful companion. I have tried to think of all the good things and all the joy she has brought all of us. I have been blessed with a good long 15 years. I figure she's been on borrowed time for a long time now. I am grateful for her and for the obvious ways the Lord is helping us through this time. He cares about everything we care about. This is for sure.

So, tomorrow we talk to the vet and see where we go from here. And so I ask you boldly, please pray for my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...