Friday, March 21, 2014

Music Appreciation

I was a band student all through school and I loved every aspect of being part of the band. So, of course, I am extremely happy to have both of my girls involved in band. Last night was the MSAC Honors Band night. This band is comprised of 6 area schools' top band students. They work together all day, with instruction from all of the band directors, then put on  2 performances the same day. It's a challenge, but they come away having learned new things and making new friends. Serena is the only tenor sax player in the 8th grade, so Mr. B asked her to again join the high school band for the day. She was so excited and loves the challenge. The concert was a joy to attend last night. Music amazes me anyway, but the way it unites strangers has always intrigued me. These kids just blow me away! They have an incredible teacher in Mr. B and have made the most amazing friends through band. Everyone puts so much emphasis on sports, but often overlook the arts. I would advise them to try both! They won't be disappointed. And they might just be surprised how similar they actually are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...