Sunday, March 20, 2011

Life in our Neighborhood

Steve took a couple days off last week, and we basically worked on stuff for the kids both days. Wouldn't you know it?

On Thursday, I decided to put together an impromptu St. Patrick's day dinner, being that most of my heritage is Irish. A trip to the grocery store for bacon and cabbage, to the dollar store for green plates, and to the library for books on Ireland kept us busy that day. I came home and made a traditional Irish dinner of bacon, cabbage, and homemade noodles. Funny thing is, I had no idea it was a traditional irish meal, as I grew up eating this all the time as a kid! We also had Irish soda bread and butter in the shape of a shamrock! I decorated the kitchen and set the table, putting a special irish blessing beside their plates. It's the first time I've done something like this, so the kids were surprised! I didn't tell them that my old way of celebrating was to make green popcorn and drink a green beer. I've come a long way! Anyway, it was a lot of fun as a family, sharing Irish facts and talking about my dad's side of the family.

On Friday, we put Natalie's furniture back in her room, and I was able to put more of her decorations up. I know it sounds corny, but one of the things Steve and I have always loved to do is work on projects around the house together! Ever since we lived in a rental and did odd jobs for our landlady, then bought an old house later, we always enjoyed ripping, tearing and putting back together as a team.

We celebrated a good week by going to one of our favorite places--China Palace, where they always give us a great table!:) We took the girls to the mall, where we waited and waited outside each store so they could shop. It was fun for them, I'm sure!

On Saturday, we finally went to the jewelry store where my wedding ring was purchased in order to have my ring restored! After looking at all the bling and all the options, I decided that all I wanted was my original ring, only repaired and with the missing diamond replaced. I'm just too sentimental, I guess! We did look at some anniversary bands, and I have to say, I'm likin' that idea!! We have been together for almost 23 years! Married for almost 17...I won't have long to wait! We ended our fun day shooting baskets together. Honestly, it doesn't take much to make us happy!

That brings me to Sunday, which was a day beginning with church, and a sermon that I really needed to hear! (I always need to hear them!) Steve did all the cooking today, ending our day with a wonderful ham dinner! I made dessert...a giant pan of brownies with frosting and ice cream on top!!

The week had its frustrations and challenges, but we had a lot of fun too...that's just life in our neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...