Thursday, January 8, 2009

Choices

This lifestyle change is going well so far. One thing that motivates me is that my favorite jeans cause a loss of feeling in my extremities. Those babies are outta here for awhile. It will be nice to finally put them back on and say, "take that, miss tighty jeans"!!
I have made better choices and although I haven't been feeling all that great, I do feel better inside.
This week is my cardio introduction, adding a few minutes each day until I'm up to one hour per day. Next week I will start weights and concentrate on toning and add that to the cardio. What keeps me going is that for one, I can't afford a new wardrobe right now, and no one is going to leave a bag of clothes on my doorstep, so I'll either be naked or getting into my former clothes. Which would you rather do? For another, I have to have some lab work done soon, and I want good cholesterol numbers. My dad now has diabetes, so I'd rather not inherit that from him. Since 80-90% of our health problems are lifestyle related, that puts me in a powerful seat. Only 10-20% of our health issues are genetic. It was also proven that some obese people are actually healthier than their thinner counterparts. One actually runs 25 miles a week and is 5'5" and weighs 225. His cholesterol is fine, heart is great, and has no signs of diabetes. This shouldn't give us a license to give up, but to encourage you if you are weight loss-resistant, live a healthy lifestyle in spite of it. Every bit helps. We all know thin is not necessarily healthy and it should never be the goal. If it is, you'll give up as soon as you lose it, then gain it all back. I'm proof.

Oprah stated on her show that the reason she gained all of her weight back is she lacked balance in her life. She was too busy and too tired to take care of her body. She also said it had a lot to do with loving herself enough. Although it sounds trite, I do think there is something to that. We spend a lot of time loving and giving to others, and that is great, however, it can leave you empty if it isn't done in moderation.

This year has been a year in which I've seen that come to light. I used to keep myself busy with volunteer work, and a community group, church stuff, etc... Then we built a house, and I tried to keep doing those things. All the while becoming more and more discouraged with the way I was feeling. I gave up my favorite things....scrapbooking, tennis to name a couple, and threw myself into motherhood and all that comes with it. Thinking I had to be in their classrooms, helping with everything, in a way to earn the fact that I was staying home, not "out there" working in the world. What a lie I fed myself. While I respect working moms and know a few who desperately want to be home instead, I have to be here. I feel selfish at times, knowing how hard it is to work and have kids at daycare or at home with the sitter. I did both, and I spent more time worrying than being present at my job. I learned to hate my desk and the phone and everyone who came in the door because they thought they were more important than my child. It was time to go! I have given myself permission this past year to say no, and to not fill my schedule just because it has holes in it. I have a home, kids and a husband to take care of, parents who can use my help, and a desire to write, which is like a part time job some days. My time is mine first, then I give it to others. Selfish? No, I call it smart. You can't give away what you don't have.

Oprah made a comment about what she thought about raising children.....that it is the holiest, most sacred job God ever gave anyone. Not to discount other important jobs, of course, but to point out that teaching a child grace and how to love was just God-given. Just my thought, but I know of people who can't have kids, and they make it their business to love and pour into someone else's kid. That is God-given as well.

So, choices. Which ones bring fruit, and which ones just take up your time? Which ones are you doing just to please others? Ease your own guilt? Which food choices are you making that are causing you to fail? Good questions deserve honest answers. Honest answers lead to better choices.

My tip of the day: Keep a basket of sugar free gum and mints near the kitchen. Make sure it's a cute basket, of course. Each time you crave sugar, choose the gum basket instead. I like to keep about 4 different flavors, depending on my mood. Green apple is a good one for cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...